Should this thread have been turned into a ongoing ad for a very few operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AWMIII

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I realize the need for various operators to advertise, but all that is in the forum anymore is a listing of adverts for a few ops. Some are completely open about who is posting and some are not. I am not going to single out anyone, but I don't find it helpful. I find it clogs up the forum and I wish it would stop.

Commercial posters on message boards come and go.

If those who read the advertorials can't see through the narrow angle of views provided, well... They're like a lot of other readers on the nets.

Stuff sorts itself out, the wheat from the chaff.

AM, you are a grouchy bear this morning! :D

I like the commercial posts, but only if the poster clearly identifies him or herself as posting on behalf of a commercial enterprise.

Whoever wrote the recent Turneffe Flats post was probably a copy writer in another life. That post was really well written and chock full of information. I hope he writes more. On the other hand, there was an earlier but still recent post from another person about TF that I suspect was written by a TF employee but did not identify herself as such. Not so good.

And I enjoy reading Ralph Capeling's Whale Shark reports. He often doesn't even mention his dive op in the reports but instead focuses on Whale Shark activity.

Frankly, I'm surprised we don't hear from more dive ops and resorts here.

The Forum has been a little slow lately. Where's Chilly when we need her?

I have no problem with it - as long as they identify themselves.
HOWEVER. I immensely dislike the commercial poster that post on every "where should I go" thread about how their locale is the only reasonable choice even when it meets none of the op's criteria.

just my 4 and 3/4 cents....

Lame advertorials tend to ensure I'll never use the op or resort in question. I imagine this is true for many other people too. The folks doing it obviously don't get that, so may as well sit back and be amused. Or report them.

Presumably I am one of the ones who are accused of using SB forums as an advertising opportunity and I agree SB should not be used for that purpose.

I have been reporting on whale shark sightings in Belize for several years and thought I was providing a useful service (although no doubt some customers come to us because of that).

Our main marketing approach is to attend trade shows like DEMA, Beneath the Sea, Long Beach Scuba Show and several Canadian ones and when I ask customers how they selected us, it is very rare that they quote SB - it is usually referals or TA.

Do you think I am offending people by doing the whale shark report? Should I discontinue it?

There are limits on the number of boats that can get licences for the whale shark zone. We are always fully booked for April and May whale shark dive trips, so we really don't need the advertising aspect. We typically have a waiting list of people who come to Belize at whale shark season in April and May without whale shark diving or snorkeling reservations. Lots of them show up in March and June and we will take them out for whale shark diving but we have always recommended April and May as the best months.

What is really important to me is our reputation and I would not want to tarnish it appearing to be a tout.

Regards
Ralph Capeling
Splash Dive Center Belize

I've never seen you that way Ralph. And as Downing said above neither does he. Don't know for sure who AWMIII meant. He and I often see eye to eye. Hope that is the case here too.

Hi Chilly Thanks for the moral support.

I PM'd AWMIII about my whale shark postings to get clarification as my reputation and that of Splash is very important to me.

AWMIII was very helpful and had some suggestions.

I've never seen you that way Ralph. And as Downing said above neither does he. Don't know for sure who AWMIII meant. He and I often see eye to eye. Hope that is the case here too.

Regards
Ralph

I enjoy the whale shark reports and wouldn't like to see them stop.

As long as commercial posters identify themselves I have no problem with them describing their services/products.....some of these posts are quite helpful and others are not.

Do you think I am offending people by doing the whale shark report? Should I discontinue it?
I actually really enjoy these reports, and this is how I found out that when I planned my trip, I would not be diving with Whale Sharks, too late in the season. So we chose a different Belize destination, but next year that's a different story. Based on one of your reports I think you posted a link for the full moon. I looked ahead and marked the dates of the full moon for 2015 and 2016 in my calendar.

However, I will say that various dive operations that choose to post unsolicited indirect adverts on the forums should aleast identify themselves. I get enough junk mail and spam...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom