Should Shearwater add Air Integration to its computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even less experienced divers should know to turn the dive LONG before the need to have planned their gas consumption down to that level of detail.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that is not exactly the reason I like reviewing my consumption data. Anyway, if you don't care about knowing what your RMV is under different specific conditions, that's fine. But, I'm not convinced that it's solely an experience thing. I think some people are more detail-oriented than others and will simply want to know finer detail on things than others - even if it's just to satisfy OCD.

I'll get you started...when you fin harder, your RMV goes up...when you are cold, your RMV goes up...when I read your posts....my RMV goes up :D

I'll get you started...when you fin harder, your RMV goes up...when you are cold, your RMV goes up...when I read your posts....my RMV goes up :D

Good to know. But, wouldn't it be better to know EXACTLY how many of my posts you can take before you run out of gas? :D

Really? There are some really small, wristwatch-sized computers out there with AI built in. The SeaBear H3 does everything the Petrel does and they managed to fit AI into it and still keep it wristwatch-sized.

The SeaBear H3 is AI? Where did you get this information? I don't see any mention of AI in their website.

It's set up for AI. They have not released it as yet due to the takeover by Scuba Pro.

"Hi, I have read the manual online and have a few questions.

Does the o2 % default to air at any point?

What is the minimum surface interval before the H3 logs the next dive as a separate dive?

Is there a dive planning function?

Your website states:

• Air integration (transmitter) available end of 2015

Will this functionality be built into the H3's from the beginning, or will it require another version of the H3 to be purchased that supports air integration?

Thanks

PS - the online manual says to rinse the unit with sweet water after diving. What is sweet water?"

From this thread here on SB
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-and-analyzers/495515-announcing-subgravity-h3-powered-seabear-2.html

They got in a little over their heads money wise and when an offer was made they took it. As such I wouldn't hold my breath for any new features.

PS - the online manual says to rinse the unit with sweet water after diving. What is sweet water?"

In this part of the world, "sweet water" mean fresh water (vs. salt water) :)

To add to what Jim said, a local shop owner told me that the AI transmitters are sitting in a warehouse ready to go except that Johnson/ScubaPro is trying to figure out what to do with them as far as rebranding them from SeaBear to whatever they are rebranding them to. From things I've read, it seems possible that they would rebrand them to ScubaPro or possibly as Sub Gravity. I don't know. Regardless, I trust my source enough believe that the AI transmitters do exist.

Everyone seems to agree that having an instrument to tell you your tank pressure is a "need".

Arguably it's the most needed instrument for splashing around a reef on tropical vacation. I need a computer to keep track of my gas loading over several days of multiple non-square-profile dives, and to bail me out safely if I step over a limit on one (or some) of those -- that's DC's primary function. Plus of course tracking my hyperoxia if/when I'm diving nitrox. If I follow its advice and stick to safe schedules, then during a dive I'm typically limited by air. If tank pressure is my limiting factor then tank pressure is what I need to see first and foremost. I may intellectually like ZH16/GF better than RGBM, I may prefer open source to proprietary, and so on, but ultimately I don't need them anywhere near as much as I need an SPG.

So to me the difference between an $800 "recreational" instrument that doesn't show tank pressure and a $150 instrument that doesn't show tank pressure is $650 wasted. The secondary issue is the convenience of a $1200 AI DC that does show it on my wrist, vs inconvenience of a $150 DC + $50 SPG that also shows it, but I have to glance down to my left hip.

To be fair, I have dived without an SPG or J-valve, in a cave, by counting breaths...

Depends what you call a dive though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom