Should Shearwater add Air Integration to its computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lack of wireless air integration is what is keeping me from buying a Shearwater computer. What I especially like about air integration is the ability to analyze my air consumption after the dive. I find that very interesting and educational. I also like the convenience of an air gauge on my arm. I do know how to dive with a bottom timer only, ratio decompression, etc., and I would not wish to be without that knowledge. But in my daily diving I choose the convenience of a dive computer.

I don't understand the people here who are so vehemently against Shearwater making a line of computers for divers that have different needs or wants from their own. Its like they feel that something would be taken away from them if Shearwater did that. I don't really know what that might be.

The lack of wireless air integration is what is keeping me from buying a Shearwater computer. What I especially like about air integration is the ability to analyze my air consumption after the dive. I find that very interesting and educational. I also like the convenience of an air gauge on my arm. I do know how to dive with a bottom timer only, ratio decompression, etc., and I would not wish to be without that knowledge. But in my daily diving I choose the convenience of a dive computer.

I don't understand the people here who are so vehemently against Shearwater making a line of computers for divers that have different needs or wants from their own. Its like they feel that something would be taken away from them if Shearwater did that. I don't really know what that might be.

You can still analyze your air after the dive by uploading the dive into the computer. I'm pretty sure I saw a SW post that said AI was not in the foreseeable future. I really hope they never add AI...it's such a waste and a cover up for a skills based problem. SW is small - They only have so much money for R&D - considering how much free maintenance I've seen them do for people, they probably just get by honestly. There are a couple of videos that explain their "mission statement" and why they do what they do. It's an interesting watch. That said even if SW did make an AI computer - it would still have all the connection problems of the many computers out there now because SW is a dive computer manufacturer and not a wireless technology manufacturer - I'm fairly sure they wouldn't build their own wireless spec and PCB (for the wireless antenna) , therefore they would be stuck with what is available on the market.

I really hate AI and I hope it never invades this great company - they have a focus and have cornered the market on high end OC&CC tech computers (at a fair price) - they should keep it.

***This is a speculation

Ok, I'm done....sorry.

Last edited:
I have yet to come across any logical argument on the topics. They all have a crystal ball that some of us don't have!!!

I wish the petrel or perdix had an air integrated option, so for those who do not want it don't have to use it. I really liked the petrel, but ended up purchasing a different unit because of AI. If the petrel had AI, i would buy one in a heartbeat.

Several board members had explained the only reason, the lack of AI on SW, that made them to purchase something else.

Would those proud owners of SW bought SW if AI was an option for the package?

Should I start a new thread on this question?

Last edited:
Would those proud owners of SW bought SW if AI was already part of the package?
If AI was optional: yes, I would buy a SW. If AI was part of the deal: no, I have no use for it and don't want to spend money on things that are not usefull to me.

AJ:
If AI was optional: yes, I would buy a SW. If AI was part of the deal: no, I have no use for it and don't want to spend money on things that are not usefull to me.
Thank you. I had modified the question.

AJ:

Optional as not having to buy the transmitter but the capability is built in or not at all?

Optional as not having to buy the transmitter but the capability is built in or not at all?

As in: not having to buy. SW in my opinion is capable enough to integrate AI in their computer in a relieable way. I'am not worried about reliability.

AJ:
As in: not having to buy. SW in my opinion is capable enough to integrate AI in their computer in a relieable way. I'am not worried about reliability.

This is reasonable enough.

I doubt that if they come out with an AI version they would make it mandatory to buy the the complete AI package with the transmitter without wrist unit only option. All other mfg. that make AI computers I know give you a choice between buying a complete package that includes the transmitter and a computer only w/o the transmitter package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom