Should Seals be hunted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why don't we hunt cows?
Because theire dumb enough to stand in the barn waiting to get a knife over their throat?

Imprisoned animals, such as the farm or ranch variety, represent our food supply, particularly meat, milk, cheese, & dairy. Farmers and ranchers also have powerful political lobbies in every nation as well, to protect their businesses. These animals are pre-ordained to die so that we can eat.

The fishes of the sea are in a similar boat [no pun intended], although the mammals of the sea are not.

Why we don't hunt seals is simply because there is no challenge in it, as hunting normally involves a challenge of some sort, and is therefore licensed, regulated, and taxed. The O/P may not have liked my answer, but that as best as I can tell is the real reason.

Gregordo, thank you for your reply but I must tell you that I am not on board with killing humans--even commercial fisherman! In actuality, I am even against the death penalty. As I mentioned earlier, the reason I ask "Should seals be hunted" has more to the question than simply--Seals eat a lot of fish. Again, referencing deer, the reasons we are allowed to hunt deer have nothing to do with their impact on the environment. So, should seals be different than deer or elk?

Nereas, thank you so much for your response. I am in agreement with you that seals are protected for reasons that have nothing to do with the status of being endangered. I guess that is the answer that I was looking for. I have heard many times that the reason California Sea Lions and harbor seals, etc. can't be commercially fished/hunted or sport fished/hunted is because they are endangered as a species. Clearly that is not the answer at this point and time. Again, thanks for your response.

Gregordo, thank you for your reply but I must tell you that I am not on board with killing humans--even commercial fisherman! In actuality, I am even against the death penalty. As I mentioned earlier, the reason I ask "Should seals be hunted" has more to the question than simply--Seals eat a lot of fish. Again, referencing deer, the reasons we are allowed to hunt deer have nothing to do with their impact on the environment. So, should seals be different than deer or elk?
Actually thats only partially true.. If we didnt harvest from the deer populations it would be bigger variance in the ammount of deer running around in the nature from year to year than it is as long as theire hunted.
The populations would grow beyond the sustainable numbers in years with few carnivores and plentiful food. This would result in more disease and weaker populations with lots of "natural deaths" later when there isnt as much food and/or carnivores. Where applicable this could also reflect in the carnivore populations wich would get the same swings only a year or two delayed. So there is actually some kinda enviromental aspect to hunting as well..

Why we don't hunt seals is simply because there is no challenge in it, as hunting normally involves a challenge of some sort, and is therefore licensed, regulated, and taxed. The O/P may not have liked my answer, but that as best as I can tell is the real reason.

I have to agree there is not much of a challenge when pups are taken. But try to shoot an adult in the water...that's a challenge.

Last edited:
I have to agree there is not much of a challenge when pups are taken. But try to shoot an adult in the water...that's a challenge.
The pups is not legally hunted and the most humane way to hunt the adults is to kill it with a "hakapik". Despite science backing that up, people of course complain since its so "brutal"...

Having read another thread on the board about how the manatees is plotting to take over the worlk its time we eradicate all sea mammals in the interest of self preservation I think :popcorn:

I have to say that I enjoy this thread for the high level of entertainment it provides via the lens of bizarre and just plain goofy! It is the best of the net. :)

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom