Should Seals be hunted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why don't we hunt cows?

Inuit have hunted seals their entire existence for food and have the right too. They use the seal for clothing, food and source of heat (oil) and medicine. The introduction of the innocent slaughter of seals for fur can never be allowed to happen on the scale it had thin the past years. Your statement that seals eat a lot of fish, well they eat far less than man does without the destruction of other aquatic life in the process. It is their natural instinct and life support, and they truly have earned the right to prosper exist as they have, since they were almost wiped out. It has been a long thought topic about killing innocent seals for fur and for pharmaceuticals. I say leave them alone before we end up talking about them like we already are about the hundreds of other earthly creatures on the endangered list. Open fair game on them again and we will be right back to the start of the endangered stages again, sorry if this sounds harsh But I find this question totally mind boggling.

As for cows, how many seal farms do you see? We raise cows for the purpose of food, hence the word FARM if not for that they would be extinct as well..lol...but see we have a use for cows so we keep making sure we breed them,

Inuit have hunted seals their entire existence for food and have the right too. They use the seal for clothing, food and source of heat (oil) and medicine. The introduction of the innocent slaughter of seals for fur can never be allowed to happen on the scale it had thin the past years. Your statement that seals eat a lot of fish, well they eat far less than man does without the destruction of other aquatic life in the process. It is their natural instinct and life support, and they truly have earned the right to prosper exist as they have, since they were almost wiped out. It has been a long thought topic about killing innocent seals for fur and for pharmaceuticals. I say leave them alone before we end up talking about them like we already are about the hundreds of other earthly creatures on the endangered list. Open fair game on them again and we will be right back to the start of the endangered stages again, sorry if this sounds harsh But I find this question totally mind boggling.

As for cows, how many seal farms do you see? We raise cows for the purpose of food, hence the word FARM if not for that they would be extinct as well..lol...but see we have a use for cows so we keep making sure we breed them,
Sorry, but I have to call BS on that. Harvesting resources can be done perfectly fine without endangering species. Controlled, reasonable hunting of non-endangered species is ecologically sane. Allowing hunting is NOT the same as allowing extinction!

And why are seals "innocent" btw? Theire predators just like we are..

Should seals be hunted? I ask the question because it seems apparent to me that seals are no longer endangered--and they eat a lot of fish. In fact, I "always" see many of them each time I go diving. Besides the fact that they are cute, should they be protected if they have adaquet numbers? Maybe there should be a season to hunt them? Don't get me wrong, we can have no hunt seal zones combined with minimum lengths and aggregate catch limits.

Only if you use a club!

babyseals2.jpg

Sorry, but I have to call BS on that. Harvesting resources can be done perfectly fine without endangering species. Controlled, reasonable hunting of non-endangered species is ecologically sane. Allowing hunting is NOT the same as allowing extinction!

And why are seals "innocent" btw? Theire predators just like we are..

ok name a few...Rhino?, Giant Panda, Polar Bears, Whales, Great Apes, Elephants to name a few. They are all on the endangered list, tell me how proper harvesting resources were done for them?

Who said that Rhinos, Elephants and Apes where ever hunted in a proper manner? They where slaughtered without regard for conservation for bodyparts for different uses.

"Whales" is not endangered. Some species of whale is and some species ARE hunted comercially in controlled forms. Last I checked the common seal aka Harbor seal where not endangered either..

Who said that Rhinos, Elephants and Apes where ever hunted in a proper manner? They where slaughtered without regard for conservation for bodyparts for different uses.

"Whales" is not endangered. Some species of whale is and some species ARE hunted comercially in controlled forms. Last I checked the common seal aka Harbor seal where not endangered either..

Yes your right, Harbour seals...the word used were seals in general, and I was making a comment in regards to the slaughter of them up here. I do agree in a controlled form yes hunting can be done, but if they are obeyed and that it seems sometimes is not. A few bad apples so to speak such as those who hunt the animals I listed, not intending to upset those who hunt by any means. Excuse my lack of explaination, it's hard to explain in type for me at least.

No problem. And to clarify, I do not in any way, shape of form condone reckless hunting or over-harvesting. Its not like mankind havent done our share of that already.

Im sure there is species of seals that IS endangered as well without checking conservation statuses btw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom