Should Seals be hunted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally, anything can be hunted, as long as an agency for regulation and biological survey and maintenance is established. Deer, elk, moose, caribou, & bear in North America are regulated in this way, as are African and Indian trophy animals as well.

Question is why would you want to do it, with the supermarkets brimming with steaks and fish and lobster?

Seals and sea lions are members of the cat and dog family, and their meat probably tastes like cat and dog meat as well. Although I am no Eskimo therefore I cannot say.

In Norway they still make boots out of seal fur, quite warm, and if I lived in Norway I probably would want my own pair too.

There would not be much challenge in hunting seals however.

I think hunters who want a challenge should hunt Alaskan or Canadian grizzly bears. You need a really powerful rifle, which normally holds 3 huge powerful rounds, and a 44 revolver as a backup. I think your odds of getting the bear are about 50%, and the odds of the bear getting you, even after you unload 9 rounds into him (3 rifle and 6 revolver) are about 50% as well. Makes sense to me.

Generally, anything can be hunted, as long as an agency for regulation and biological survey and maintenance is established. Deer, elk, moose, caribou, & bear in North America are regulated in this way, as are African and Indian trophy animals as well.

Question is why would you want to do it, with the supermarkets brimming with steaks and fish and lobster?

Seals and sea lions are members of the cat and dog family, and their meat probably tastes like cat and dog meat as well. Although I am no Eskimo therefore I cannot say.

In Norway they still make boots out of seal fur, quite warm, and if I lived in Norway I probably would want my own pair too.

There would not be much challenge in hunting seals however.

I think hunters who want a challenge should hunt Alaskan or Canadian grizzly bears. You need a really powerful rifle, which normally holds 3 huge powerful rounds, and a 44 revolver as a backup. I think your odds of getting the bear are about 50%, and the odds of the bear getting you, even after you unload 9 rounds into him (3 rifle and 6 revolver) are about 50% as well. Makes sense to me.
I actually DONT have seal fur boots myself.. But yeah, id say theres more challenging prey to hunt for. I think you might be giving yourself a BIT low odds on the grizzly though, unless youre a REAL bad shot :p

I actually DONT have seal fur boots myself.. But yeah, id say theres more challenging prey to hunt for. I think you might be giving yourself a BIT low odds on the grizzly though, unless youre a REAL bad shot :p

Every tried shooting a charging bear while you are pizzing and pooping in your pants?

Every tried shooting a charging bear while you are pizzing and pooping in your pants?
I preferr killing my prey before it attacks me and CERTAINLY before I go to the bathroom :p

You probably would not like great white sharks then either.:eyebrow:
Thats my exception to the rule.. I bring an extra tank of air for hunting them!
Feed them the tank and shoot the tank with my UW modified glock. Blows them right out of the water Jaws-style

Coll, why protect a marine mammal (harbor seals) that has a population of 300,000?
The key is that it's the "marine MAMMAL protection act". Just like cute dolphins and whales, seals are mammals. That invokes a kinship response in human mammals.

Now you are probably going to ask some awkward question, such as why we don't consider cows worthy of the same sort of protection. :D

-------

After we solve the questions about seals, then we can attack the really important question:

What's the difference between a rat and a squirrel?

Both are nasty filthy rodents, but the squirrel has better PR.

G

If you ever really went to the Arctic you would know some etiquette. The term Eskimo is considered a derogatory term. :dork2: Also, pinnipeds are not cat-related. More bear-related?

Hunting bears? - YouTube - Funny Bear VS John West
Maybe you could do it mano-a-mano?

Wardric, where are you?

Yes. In fact, they should be hunted to extinction. Period.

No. Actually, everyone who looks at a seal the wrong way should face severe fines and penalties. Hunting and killing one should incur the needle.

W.T.F. kind of question is this? There's no right answer. There are so many variables that affect a decision like this. Purpose, history, culture, population, extinction, species, numbers, intent, rights ... the list goes on and on. :banghead: I've got to agree with a previous poster .. this question smells kind of trollish to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom