Should SB be required reading in OW classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SB is more like the VFW bar to me. Lots of BS and diehard opinionated SOBs, with occassional knowledge gems thrown in. OW students have no idea how to sort the wheat from the chaff. That said, I came here as a naiive OW student and after getting bull-whipped and snookered a few times, I vowed to dive my A$$ off and learn from everyone so I could sense the wheat from the chaff. So yeah, I recommend OW students come here and read.

eh? wait a sec...I'm not sure what I just wrote. Bartender, I need a beer!

I wouldn't say required reading, unless I directed to a particular article or thread, just as I wouldn't tell someone to just read any book on SCUBA in the library or on Amazon. I would give the website out as a resource for those that have the ability to find gems among the BS, the same way I recommend any website or forum to someone.

Bob
----------------------------------
On the Internet you can choose to be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

SB is more like the VFW bar to me. Lots of BS and diehard opinionated SOBs, with occassional knowledge gems thrown in. OW students have no idea how to sort the wheat from the chaff. That said, I came here as a naiive OW student and after getting bull-whipped and snookered a few times, I vowed to dive my A$$ off and learn from everyone so I could sense the wheat from the chaff. So yeah, I recommend OW students come here and read. ...//...

Too risky.

Easier to just pair up two newbies and anoint them as being safe as a buddy team...

Nor would most dive shop agree with that idea. They would rather have full control over the knowledge their customers acquire.

Tend to agree. This could mean the shop/instructor wants things done their/their agency's way. But it could also mean they fear OW students could latch onto some info. that wasn't very good. Another problem is what part of SB would be the required reading? "New Divers" with thousands of back threads or maybe "Basic" with uh, millions it seems. I also agree that more often than not instructors at some of the shops I've patronized don't seem to have much at all to say about SB. I think it is a good idea, however for it to be mentioned to new students. SB is the only one of ALL the dive forums where there is almost daily at least one topic that catches your interest--especially if you're retired looking for something to do. As well, I would think I have learned more over the years from SB than from all the instructors I have taken classes with or talked to--not meaning at all I didn't learn a lot from them of course. SB is one of the good uses of the internet in our overly technological world.

then again, a few hours in the Pub might set them straight........:stirpot:

The BP/W manufacturers would certainly sell a lot more gear if it was...:D

ScubaBoard is a great source of information. It's also a great source of misinformation. It's also a great place to get perspectives on opinions that have less to do with right and wrong than with personal preferences.

I'm not so sure a person taking an OW class can benefit ... in some respects they lack the context to discern what's real, what's opinion, and what's pure BS ... and there's plenty of all three here.

After getting some training and some dives, then ScubaBoard can become a very good resource for filling in the "gaps", or gaining a different perspective that isn't colored by the attitude or environment of local instruction. It's a great place to ask questions ... but you need to be careful what you accept as the answers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No, not required reading. Some people just can't handle the truth! :lam:

I don't specifically tell students "go read SB," but I do tell them there are additional online resources where additional information can be gained. I have provided a few websites of individuals that I respect, some are SB members, some are not.
If I said go read SB I would then have to provide a list of "must read" users names and those you should automatically put on ignore. :)
I'll discuss topics that are pretty commonly discussed here during different courses. The A&I section during a rescue course is one example.

It is fairly easy to tell which students find and read SB, those that don't even read online (dive) information and those that were working on their homework on the drive to class.

I'm picturing a weekend wonder course. You sign up on Monday, have Tuesday-Friday to read the entire book, watch the video and fill out knowledge reviews (PADI) which is what 14-20 hours total? May be more, may be less.
Your home work between Saturday evening and Sunday morning is to read the A&I section of SB.

A bit of topic. I wonder what the top five searches are on SB?

I think it might be good reading for AOW and onwards where there focus is to expand your horizon, but for OW STUDENTS (as in not yet certified) I think it could be quite confusing and very hard for them to know whats real and whats just crazytalk...

A bit of topic. I wonder what the top five searches are on SB?

#1 something with BP/W in the question line....

or maybe its the answer to the #1 question that has BP/W in it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom