Should SB be required reading in OW classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was still conducting classes, I gave students a handout listing other resources – magazines, books, and URLs – with a short editorial about each. My disclaimer was that the handout was not sanctioned by PADI or the dive store, but was my personal opinion. For ScubaBoard, I included my member name and remarked that in the wild west of the internet one must be cautious, but that ScubaBoard had something for almost everyone on almost every imaginable topic.

So no, not required, but with an ever more computer-sophisticated student base, it seemed silly not to include some guidance.

1. all three of the LDS that I have spoken with were not very thrilled when I mentioned SB. Things like "I don't know if I would believe what I read on there". (I don't believe it all. I hope I have figured out when someone is flaming or trolling or giving actual prudent advice.)

I got pretty much the same treatment from my LDS. I always wonder what their experience was on here that led to them giving that kind of response.

I not only encourage my students to join but show them portions in class!

I think outside of my own free material that I give them, and require they read by the way, it is a great resource. I also recommend to those who show such an inclination that they read The Deco Stop as well. And NW Grateful Divers page. Some really good stuff there.

I want to thank Bob for the book plug as well. My whole intention was to make it agency neutral, which it is, so that it could be used to supplement any class and some instructors are doing that. Myself it is part of the OW class materials that are paid for by new students along with the agency stuff. I price it in with my student rates. And it's now on Amazon (had to say that) for those students who came before it did.

The other resources I strongly urge them to get as soon as possible are:

The US Navy Manual - free download
The Six Skills- very affordable
The SDI Solo diver manual- also not overly expensive
and will now also recommend
Staying Alive - worth twice the cover price easy. IMO

Later courses (AOW on) they get exposed to The Tao of Survival Underwater by Tom Mount, Technical Diving Handbook by Gary Gentile, and the NOAA Manual.

I want my students to join SB as soon as possible and read as much on it as possible between sessions.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 04:40 PM ----------

I got pretty much the same treatment from my LDS. I always wonder what their experience was on here that led to them giving that kind of response.

Most of the time they did not even have one in my experience. They just did not like their students and customers getting so much information that often contradicted the line they were feeding them. That was the case with the LDS I certed through.

Chickenfried, as you gain experience and continue to read SB, you'll probably figure that out on your own. I haven't even told one of my dive buddies about this site because I don't want her confused and/or terrified. When she's got another hundred dives under her belt, if she hasn't found her way here on her own, I may mention it. That said, maybe I won't. She has a bit of an addictive personality.

I would say no... there's no need for OW students to think they know more than their instructors, and questioning the agencies and standards prior to their checkout dives.

Once OW is done, I encourage people to explore this site. But nothing worse than a know-it-all who learned everything from SB questioning agency standards that instructors are required to teach to.

There's a time and a place, but I think it's once the basics are learned. Learn the standard, agency approved methods and reasoning before adding to it. OW can be overwhelming enough without extra decisions.

No, too many anal retentive posters here----::))

(present company NOT included)

I would say no... there's no need for OW students to think they know more than their instructors, and questioning the agencies and standards prior to their checkout dives.

Once OW is done, I encourage people to explore this site. But nothing worse than a know-it-all who learned everything from SB questioning agency standards that instructors are required to teach to.

Maybe if they did some instructors/classes would not take liberties with those standards. Students should know exactly what standards they are required to be taught to. If more did there would be less scary and scared divers in the water. I can think of no greater compliment as an instructor than a student who knows what they want, took the time to find out what they were supposed to get, and elected to continue training with me because they were getting it. Secrecy just makes me suspicious of any "professional" and their motivations for it. As it should any student.

To new divers - if your instructor refuses to show you the standards you are to be taught to or will not even discuss them - RUN AWAY. Get a new instructor.

Maybe if they did some instructors/classes would not take liberties with those standards. Students should know exactly what standards they are required to be taught to. If more did there would be less scary and scared divers in the water.
I agree with this, but not sure if ScubaBoard is the place to get that. Too many opinions on here.

Yes, students should be aware of the standards, but they shouldn't be influenced by people's opinions before they learn the basics.

I'll give you a minute, and talk about the 800 lb gorilla for a minute. PADI claims that they are the way the world learns to dive, and they have a right to make that claim. I don't know what the percentage is, but at one point, more folks were certified PADI than all other agencies combined.

I have heard it is 3 X all other agencies combined.

As far as required reading? No. I don't think you can reasonably expect to "force" people to read more than the requirements.

It really is a case of: "You can lead a horse to water..."

We have seen thread after thread, bemoaning ther state of newly certified divers.

Every time I read one of those threads, I am always thinking, does anyone hold the diver responsible?

Whatever agency is doing the training, they can only do so much. Are there bad instructors? Of course there are, just like in any profession.

But in my mind, every individual that decides to take up diving, or any activity, is responsible for their own progression and skills.

Individuals either care, or they don't.

If they care, and want to be a good/safe/responsible diver, there are plenty of resources.

I found ScubaBoard very shortly after certification and I am pretty regular about coming here. I also found many great demonstration video's on youtube and other places using google or whatever that have helped me to improve.

I am under the impression that most new divers don't seek this stuff out. In that regard, I do like the suggestion I saw that the instructor handed out a sheet with different scuba related places they could check out. Even then, the majority would probably just toss it out anyways.

Why not? I have seen so many different methods on teaching the basics that I have an entire arsenal to draw from based on the individual student. Not every demonstration technique works with every student. Some require a change in method, sequence, or when the skill should be introduced. I listen if a student tells me they think if they did y before x it would help them get it faster. So we do that.
As for the basics, not all basic standards are the same. No matter what anyone says. So knowing there are different ones is good for student and keeps the instructor on their toes. I should know and be able to explain why x agency does "this" but I do "that". Part of being a professional educator.

Back
Top Bottom