Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup but really in modern times doesn't actually need to be used much.
Do modern diesel subs still use them?

BTW, when people ask what your longest dive was, do you say "3 months"? :)

BTW, when people ask what your longest dive was, do you say "3 months"? :)

Don't know as I was on nuke sub (obviously)

And that's classified

:)

yes, they still do

I've used a snorkel as part of my regular gear since 1968, hasn't hurt me none.

Interesting fact.

The state of Queensland by law requires all dive operators customers to have a snorkel (does not have to be worn on your mask but at least needs to be with you; fold up pocket snorkel or bungy a regular one to your backplate) and surface with minimum 50 Bar.

Interesting fact.

The state of Queensland by law requires all dive operators customers to have a snorkel (does not have to be worn on your mask but at least needs to be with you; fold up pocket snorkel or bungy a regular one to your backplate) and surface with minimum 50 Bar.

How do they enforce that especially the 50 bar? Is there a law enforcement person at all sites checking tank pressure?

How do they enforce that especially the 50 bar? Is there a law enforcement person at all sites checking tank pressure?

I don't know as I do not work for the QLD government. But I am assuming it is just like any other basic law, generally most people are law abiding people its like yes littering is illegal but no there is no garbage police patrolling for littering criminals. The Diving Operator is responsible for enforcing it I am sure it is just like any other business they try to follow the law to there best ability so yes most dive operators in QLD fully brief you on the rules and check that you have a snorkel and also check your pressure once you surface. Anyone that has dove at the GBR can attest to this. It's Just like a restaurant there is no beer police at every restaurant checking ID's its the business that is responsible, but yes there are people that abuse it and use fake ID's etc but that is out of there control.

And what happens if you dont?

Very good question and I do not know. I was just posting the info as I though it was something interesting relating to the snorkel topic. I do not know any details about how it is enforced or what happens if you don't follow the rules. Every time I go diving at the GBR I just follow the rules the diver operator tells me so I have never had an issue.

I guess maybe try asking one of the dozens of diving operators based out of Cairns or Port Douglas.

Or maybe someone that is more verst in the QLD diving rules and regulations can shed some light on this. I would be interested to know also

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom