Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a wonderful dry snorkel which I love for snorkeling. On dives my snorkel sits in my gear bag. I don't use a snorkel while diving.

You can swim on your back and just breathe through your mouth.
What if there’s kelp you have to surface swim through?
Do you like getting your tank valve completely wrapped up in kelp or feather boa? Because that’s what will happen if you try and swim on your back through it.

What if there’s kelp you have to surface swim through?
Do you like getting your tank valve completely wrapped up in kelp or feather boa? Because that’s what will happen if you try and swim on your back through it.
You can't really surface swim through thick kelp on your front with a snorkel either. Most of us just descend a few feet and swim under the surface kelp while breathing off a regulator.

You can't really surface swim through thick kelp on your front with a snorkel either. Most of us just descend a few feet and swim under the surface kelp while breathing off a regulator.
I don’t, I like to save my air for the dive. Surface swimming in your belly using a snorkel allows you to pick your path and maneuver around the kelp or push it aside. You can also kelp crawl while using a snorkel. It’s a very valuable tool, and I don’t want new diver people reading a bunch of anti snorkel rhetoric then feel silly, stupid, or amateurish for using one. Do what works for you, I’ll do what works for me, and we’ll leave it at that.

I’d actually say most of us here just don’t dive where there is kelp - I’ve never seen the stuff (and never wear a snorkel when diving) :wink:

I don’t, I like to save my air for the dive. Surface swimming in your belly using a snorkel allows you to pick your path and maneuver around the kelp or push it aside. You can also kelp crawl while using a snorkel. It’s a very valuable tool, and I don’t want new diver people reading a bunch of anti snorkel rhetoric then feel silly, stupid, or amateurish for using one. Do what works for you, I’ll do what works for me, and we’ll leave it at that.
That might work in sparse kelp. But it doesn't work at all when the kelp gets thick, like we had at Point Lobos yesterday. If you tried to push the kelp aside or crawl over it you would just exhaust yourself without making much progress. Totally pointless and counterproductive. If breathing gas is an issue, then just bring more.

Well, I don't know anything about Kelp but I do know that sometimes unplanned stuff happens. My girlfriend and I surfaced one time in a squall with no boat in sight. Swells were about twenty feet with white caps, lightning, wind and we were both low on air. It was just a squall, a little localized storm but inside of it, it was wild! We floated on our backs part of the time but ran out of canned air so we switched to snorkels and floated on our chests. The waves kept breaking over us and I honestly think that had we not had snorkels, it might have ended badly instead of having a neat little adventure. We floated for over an hour before we heard the boats horn and I popped a flare. Stuff happens when it happens!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom