Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What???

1. Why are you necessarily out of air?
2. Why are you necessarily needing to swim anywhere to get back to your exit point?

Now you’re going to argue for the redundant snorkel I mentioned earlier so that you have one for the OOA diver as well.

Another day of humor from this thread. Thank you!
Hasn't yet happened to me in 800+ dives. Could happen.

Oh, in reply to others-- yes it is easy to breathe without snorkel or reg in mouth. Though maybe not in 8 foot waves, and maybe the snorkel doesn't help there either? Maybe snorkel helps if you have no tank air.
Yes, that should never ever happen....
Have we touched all bases yet?

if you can use a snorkel you can also just move your mouth out of the water and breathe.
A few years ago, there was a fatality over here. A woman drowned on the surface because the wind had increased while they were below and the chop broke over her. We can never know, but there is a non-zero probability that a snorkel might have been of help.

I have myself been in situations where I definitely would have appreciated floating higher in the water due to some chop, but breathing through the snorkel made it easier to avoid swallowing water. So I've had more situations where my snorkel has contributed to my safety than where my cutting tool has. I still don't go into the water without carrying at least one cutting tool.

A few years ago, there was a fatality over here. A woman drowned on the surface because the wind had increased while they were below and the chop broke over her. We can never know, but there is a non-zero probability that a snorkel might have been of help.

I have myself been in situations where I definitely would have appreciated floating higher in the water due to some chop, but breathing through the snorkel made it easier to avoid swallowing water. So I've had more situations where my snorkel has contributed to my safety than where my cutting tool has. I still don't go into the water without carrying at least one cutting tool.
I can certainly see how that could happen, especially in the open ocean. I've had the wind/waves kick up some during a dive, to my surprise when I surfaced. In my case, I am almost always very close to shore (100'+?). On some of the shore site dives I do I don't even bother to bring my knife, as I know there is nothing I could get entangled in--probably not a wise idea.
If at a new site or on a boat, or anywhere there could be current or the possibility of any kind of a long surface swim, I do bring the knife and the snorkel, and at times Dive Alert.

When I was younger (50+....) I would venture further out, and often surface swim back some if I felt I was getting too far from shore. Swimming on my back using the snorkel was the fastest, easiest way. I always wore my snorkel on the mask. In later years and with much shorter surface swims (if at all), I found it was just as easy without the snorkel. In relatively calm water, even those longer swims would probably been fine without it. All depends on the situation.

+1 Another former competitive swimmer here. Far easier than using a snorkel.

You two seem to think that being competitive swimmers gives you a much better perspective about ANYBODY ever needing a snorkel to swim. I would argue that the exact opposite is true, because not everyone is a strong swimmer, so your perspective doesnt account for this. For some folks a snorkel really helps their swimming.

Me for example, the hardest part of swimming for me is turning my head and breathing without gulping water. I just cant do it well. So I generally either swim with my head out of the water (which is less efficient) or on my back. But if I have a snorkel, I can swim much faster.

I still dont wear one on my mask, but I bring a foldable one. If I ever had to swim a long distance, I could do it on my back, but I would want to have one with me.

You two seem to think that being competitive swimmers gives you a much better perspective about ANYBODY ever needing a snorkel to swim. I would argue that the exact opposite is true, because not everyone is a strong swimmer, so your perspective doesnt account for this. For some folks a snorkel really helps their swimming.

Me for example, the hardest part of swimming for me is turning my head and breathing without gulping air. I just cant do it well. So I generally either swim with my head out of the water (which is less efficient) or on my back. But if I have a snorkel, I can swim much faster.

I still dont wear one on my mask, but I bring a foldable one. If I ever had to swim a long distance, I could do it on my back, but I would want to have one with me.

By all means use one! I’m not anti snorkel. I’ve said in this thread carry one or not. I’m fine either way! I want you doing what you’re comfortable with.

What I’m arguing against is the view presented by a few on the thread that a snorkel is essential and everyone should carry one.

Skimming through a couple of DAN's annual accident reports, I couldn't find an incident specifically related to whether or not a diver had or didn't have a snorkel. Although fatalities still occurred at the surface, none were described as having anything to do about breathing with a snorkel - or lack or a snorkel - at the surface, but instead being triggered by some other health issue such as cardiovascular disease. Somewhere early in the thread, the idea of a snorkel being "essential" scuba gear was brought up....although not mentioned specifically by DAN, other gear (essential to scuba) malfunctions were.

I think we can put this issue to rest and say that the majority of the SB community replying to this thread (me included), have indicated snorkel use is a personal preference although a few divers may feel it is essential to their diving.

What should have been a pretty easy thread topic to reply to, to wear a snorkel or not, became a little more than that.
"This is how I use or don't use a snorkel and the reason(s) why" should have been sufficient and could possibly help a new diver get a perspective of pros/cons, practical/possible uses, and the type of snorkels/accessories available. Even some of the anecdotes could be helpful if the reader learns a lesson or something new from it.

Skimming through a couple of DAN's annual accident reports, I couldn't find an incident specifically related to whether or not a diver had or didn't have a snorkel. Although fatalities still occurred at the surface, none were described as having anything to do about breathing with a snorkel - or lack or a snorkel - at the surface, but instead being triggered by some other health issue such as cardiovascular disease. Somewhere early in the thread, the idea of a snorkel being "essential" scuba gear was brought up....although not mentioned specifically by DAN, other gear (essential to scuba) malfunctions were.

I think we can put this issue to rest and say that the majority of the SB community replying to this thread (me included), have indicated snorkel use is a personal preference although a few divers may feel it is essential to their diving.

What should have been a pretty easy thread topic to reply to, to wear a snorkel or not, became a little more than that.
"This is how I use or don't use a snorkel and the reason(s) why" should have been sufficient and could possibly help a new diver get a perspective of pros/cons, practical/possible uses, and the type of snorkels/accessories available. Even some of the anecdotes could be helpful if the reader learns a lesson or something new from it.
Agree with all. My guess is there is no statistic anywhere regarding snorkel use, accidents, etc.

We use octos/alternate second and dive with them although the greater majority of divers who buy and use them never ever have to use them in OOA situation (at least they shouldn't be in OOA situation) but yet most divers and instructors use them and never dive without them. Octos are worse than snorkels in terms of drag, getting caught on the reef, maintenance, cost and many other factors, BUT you still have them on you. I use the snorkel infinitely more than I have used the octo. Whatever "inconvenience" you may have with the snorkel, multiply that by 10 for the octo. yet you have the octo on. (It is even much worse for folks that carry a pony bottle and never have to use).

Apples-to-oranges comparison for the topic at hand... Unlike a snorkel which might have some use for some people in specific situations, I consider an Octo to be of vital importance while one is actually scuba diving: for example, as a backup if one has an issue with their primary second stage or to share air with an OOA diver - in both cases, not having an octo could mean drowning. I'm not sure of your issues but carrying a clipped off Octo as part of my reg set is ZERO inconvenience. Please stop with your silly arguments...

So you always predict the rough seas before hand for you to decide to carry a snorkel on you or not before you get on the boat just like you can predict if you are going to face an OOA situation to decide if to carry an octo. on you (or a pony)?
Pretty much - having owned boats in coastal ocean waters for years, I know how how to watch the weather. It's pretty rare for conditions to deteriorate that significantly if you've paid attention - regardless, I still don't see the need for a snorkel FOR ME in any conditions that I'd consider diving in (and I've been out in 4-6 foot seas that were quite uncomfortable on the boat and never felt the need to use my snorkel even though I had a foldable one with me). Others may feel differently. However, I always carry an OCTO as I consider it essential so there is no decision as per your silly suggestion. Also, unless I had a catastrophic failure, I'm not going OOA - and if that happened, I'd surface immediately sharing air with my buddy through his OCTO (not his snorkel... lol).

Using a snorkel, with all of its advantages you claim, its use is superior in this scenario and will make your swimming much easier, safer and efficient. You will be much more rested when you get to the drop down point. You will be on course more to avoid wasting energy getting to the drop down point too swimming face down with the snorkel than swimming on your back and having to turn occasionally to correct your course. Breath holding while surface swimming will make you get exhausted much more quickly and you will be out of breath by the time you get to the drop down point.
Sounds like you have a skills and/or fitness problem as I have no such issues with getting tired from swimming on my back (or brief breath holds to check the bottom) - in fact, I find it quite relaxing and get myself "in the zone" on the way out when I do shore dive. Also how is snorkeling at the surface safer when, with my head out of the water, I can actually hear and see what's going on on the surface??? I also actually find unrestricted breathing without a snorkel more relaxing - so stop trying to project your shortcomings or fitness gaps onto others as I don't agree with any of it from my own diving experience.

As others have said: If folks feel more comfortable with a snorkel or they dive in conditions that they feel requires one, then they should use one - but to suggest that it is essential scuba gear for all and that not using one is a skills gap is just plain ridiculous.

The octo also is important in case you are unsuccessful using one of the 2 methods to retrieve your "lost" primary. Wish breathing from one's own octo was emphasized more when the reg retrieval skill is taught.
Is it vital for an OOA buddy? It wasn't back in the days when they didn't exist, or when buddy breathing was still taught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom