Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the snorkel wearers on this thread I have numerous snorkels I've found lying on the bottom at Blue Heron Bridge dropped by newbies. They are gathering dust in the garage. These are the giant fancy ones with all the bells and whistles. :rofl3: I guess I should post them for sale.

This tread has proved people’s like or dislike of a snorkel comes down to their personal experience using one. I won’t go without one but I was skin diving for years before scuba and still love the freedom of it. Also the surf zone on Ireland’s south and west coast can be treacherous at any time of year and this seems to be getting worse as the years go by.

Only on SB we can have a 13 page argument over wearing a snorkel or not and this is not the first time? If you feel there is benefit in wearing one go for it if not then don't shouldn't be shamed either way.

SB_bingo.jpg

I actually think that the pushback is to the position that you absolutely need it for every dive, which from what I can tell is the official position of at least one major training agency. Now you could say that this is just for training, but most infrequent divers (i.e. most certified scuba divers) just do what they learned in training when they go diving, so it tends to carries over.

I think that the "anti-snorkel" posts can be broken down into two categories:

- Objection to the idea of wearing it on the mask
- Objection to the idea that you need it for every dive, and if you don't have it you are putting yourself at risk

I can't think of anyone in this thread or elsewhere objecting to the idea of carrying a foldable snorkel in case you are in the situation where you want one unexpectedly. Saying that people object to that is kind of a straw man argument.

I guess I can see that it would be convenient or comfortable in some circumstances, but I don't see that not having a snorkel - even on an ocean dive - would be a major SAFETY issue. And that's an important distinction. Unless, I guess, you are diving in situations where helicopters and rocket propelled grenades are a consideration.
Best post yet and I agree with it all.
The reason I rarely even carry my foldable snorkel anymore is because with my local shallow shore dives, I pretty much have to really push things to wind up with less than 1000 PSI when I'm ready to quit. So, I always have way more than enough tank air for any kind of surface swimming. With the snorkel not in my pocket, there is no way I can have it fall out and be out the $20 it cost. But, there is the odd occasion I will stuff it in there just in case (new dive site, etc.).

Here's my take. I feel like a piece of equipment is missing if I don't bring my snorkel. I like it being there whether I use it or not.
It's just like my SMB I bring it but do not always use it. Actually I deploy my SMB less than I use my snorkel.
Would you tell a diver not to bring an SMB? After all many divers do not bring one and it also is not necessarily a life saving piece of equipment. I bring my dive torch on every dive. Some people do not. I can use mine to communicate to guide or buddy in low vis but many vacation divers do not own a dive torch or even a dive computer.

If people ask me why I always bring a snorkel I give them my reasons. Some have decided to then go a buy a snorkel and bring or wear it on their dives some do not. Up to them. But telling people not to wear one is plain wrong in my humble opinion. If you have a long hose and claim you can't use it and wear a snorkel at the same time well that's your issue. Never bothered me. Someone claimed wearing a snorkel is the cause of their mask fogging up as a reason not to wear one.

\
Would you tell a diver not to bring an SMB? After all many divers do not bring one and it also is not necessarily a life saving piece of equipment.

SMB is definitely life saving equipment. If you are tied in and lose the anchor line, you can absolutely be lost at sea with a free ascent, especially if there is current. I have seen that on more than one occasion, including one person who actually WAS lost at sea before eventually being found hours later.

But telling people not to wear one is plain wrong in my humble opinion.

That's the whole point of these discussions. People have reasons why they think that it's not a good idea to WEAR a snorkel, and they share those reasons here. Why is it wrong for them to make that case? I mean, there is no scuba police, people can do whatever they want. But why object to the idea of someone challenging your long held practice? Sometimes, we learn new things and change the way we do stuff.

Note that NO ONE has made the case against BRINGING a snorkel.

For the snorkel wearers on this thread I have numerous snorkels I've found lying on the bottom at Blue Heron Bridge dropped by newbies. They are gathering dust in the garage. These are the giant fancy ones with all the bells and whistles. :rofl3: I guess I should post them for sale.
I've got a pile too, not to mention several found masks (one mask/snorkel set brand new). And I'm diving in places nowhere near as populated as Blue Heron, I imagine.

It must be difficult for those that can't progress past using a snorkel to becoming a diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom