Should I upgrade my Orca Phoenix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDMerk

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an old Orca Phoenix AI dive computer. I like it a lot but I dont see anyone else diving with them. Ive been thinking about upgrading to something newer like maybe a Sherwood wisdom. But I don't see any real tangible benefits of doing so. I mean they look a little cooler and they can handle Nitrox (im not Nitrox certified) but for $700 im not sure its worth it. My Orca is easy to read, simple to use, accurate and utterly reliable.
Basically im asking if there are any downsides (or upsides) to using an older computer like the Phoenix that some of you might add to my decision making process.

I see no need to switch. I have a Sherwood Wisdom and I love it. It will do Nitrox but like you, I don't dive Nitrox and see no need to go to Nitrox. If what you have is working fine for you, save your money and stick with it. One of these days like all things, it will finally give out on you. Then look to buy something else at that time. Some folks may call your computer old but just think of it as a classic!

BDSC

Ask yourself this: If nobody on your block drove a 4 door sedan would you sell it just to fit in? You don't need to do what everyone else is doing. :wink:

Gary D.

If it aint broke dont fix it . I used an orca for my first few years of diving , as you say it is the epidimy of userfriendly . Mine did eventually fail one day and I moved on the the state of the art dive pc of the day , suunto eon . I still use the eon daily.
I have tried some newer computers to see what I was missing , if you are not diving nitrox you are not missing anything . I found new models had too many bells and whistles . I love my eon and I am not switching , I have two in reserve just in case . Enjoy your orca , they dont make em like that anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom