Should I reserve ahead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awerda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, everyone I’m planning a trip to Cozumel in the end of January. I'm bringing a referral letter so I can get my certification while I’m down there, I’m also planning on getting as much diving in as possible. From doing some research on this board the two dive ops that keep coming up for being good with newbies are Blue XTSea, and Papa Hoggs. I'm curious whether or not I can just show up when the plane lands and book then or should I reserve ahead?

You should reserve ahead, you will only be able to get two dives a day in for your cert dives and you wouldn't want to miss a day of diving because they didn't have an instructor or boat available to cater to you, take a look at http://www.divecozumel.net/technical.html they have the finest equipment on the island and their instructors are great, if you follow the link you will be able to look at what they have to offer and email them if you wish.

Chris

As end of Jan is a busy time on Coz, reserving ahead seems prudent.

Blue XT Sea should be able to accommodate your needs. Please tell Christi that I said, "Hola."

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Particularly this time of year. We are diving with Blue XT Sea next week and I know they are booked up solid for next week. We have had our reservations for several months, but we have a last minute add on diver, and she can only get him out in the afternoon and she has him on the wait list for morning dives in case of any last minute cancellations. Christi will do her best to work you in where she can, just keep in mind that without reservations, there are no guarantees on availability.

If you want to dive with a smaller operation, you should always make reservations in advance. The bigger shops like Dive Paradise or Aqua Safari can always fit you in though.

Never hurts to reserve ahead.

I've used Papa Hogg's twice and have no problem at all recommending them. I dove a couple of days with a different operator and couldn't get back to the Hogg's fast enough. You can find out details about their operation and contact them through their website:

http://www.papahogs.com/noframes/nfindex.htm

You can even get a tank from them and do a shore dive right off the beach in front of their store. It's a nice, easy dive. I'll be down there myself again this spring and hope to do a day or two of diving with them.

IMO, the one thing to avoid is the cattle boats. Nothing like jumping in with twenty other people to clear the reef.

Good luck with the certification.

Back
Top Bottom