Question Should I replace my SPG with my new Shearwater Transmitter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Znorux

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone! First post in the forums btw!

I have my 1st stage which has only one HIGH PRESSURE and I am really hesitant about replacing my SPG totally with the transmitter I got (swift).

What do you think about this? Is it safe? I am absolutely crazy or it is an understandable risk? Thanks!

Various threads on here on the topic of whether to dive with just a transmitter. There are pros and cons both ways. It is a personal choice.

Start with these:

Or, get yourself a HP port splitter and have both

1721757566578.png

Hello everyone! First post in the forums btw!

I have my 1st stage which has only one HIGH PRESSURE and I am really hesitant about replacing my SPG totally with the transmitter I got (swift).

What do you think about this? Is it safe? I am absolutely crazy or it is an understandable risk? Thanks!
I trust my MH8A transmitter more than I trust my SPG.

I trust my MH8A transmitter more than I trust my SPG.
I've had 2 transmitter failures in 14 years, >1,900 dives. In the same period, I've had a couple of leaky SPGs, fixed with a spool replacement, no failures.

I have a 20 year old Oceanic transmitter, made by PPS, and compatible with my Shearwater that I have had near zero issues with. The only issue I have had with it was my fault when I put a new in package but 15 year old battery in it. After a few dives it still gave me the tank pressure was dropping in and out causing the GTR and SAC to give wild numbers. Turned the dive and all was good.

I have no reservations diving only the Oceanic/Shearwater transmitter even on tech dives. Just change the battery every couple years or couple hundred hours of use.

That being said I do keep an SPG and hose in the reg bag but have never needed it.

For me, my transmitters have been reliable enough that I am fine now diving without an SPG. I've had ONE AI failure, and it was due to the computer losing the AI permanently (circuit board failure) and not due to the transmitter itself failing. I still had my gas pressure on my backup (2nd) dive computer.

With that said, I dive nothing but recreationally and have a very solid understanding of my gas consumption and anticipated gas reserves. If it were to ever happen, I feel very comfortable safely completing any of the dives I do without knowing my exact pressure at the end of a dive.

I have had one computer failure (Suunto Eon Core) and WISHED I had an SPG. I have a Garmin that I have had zero issues with but still use my SPG as back-up.

Keep the SPG in your car/luggage/wherever on the off chance that you need it, which you probably won’t.

(You should ask the mods to move this thread to a more appropriate location too.)

I've had 2 transmitter failures in 14 years, >1,900 dives. In the same period, I've had a couple of leaky SPGs, fixed with a spool replacement, no failures.
I'm not talking about MY experience; that means nothing.

I'm talking about the possible failure modes and what it means to my diving: (a) If the SPG fails, I might not even know it....it might show the same reading no matter the pressure (ie., be stuck), it might show gas when there is none, etc. (b) If he transmitter fails, I just get no reading on either of my computers. Clear failure, and I abort my dive. It has never happened to me, by the way, in the 12 years I've been using AI, about 1700 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom