Should I get PADI-certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bretagne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am currently CMAS **. There is an agreement between my agency and PADI, and I could get AOW quite easaily with few additional check dives and (a lot of?) $$$. I intend to dive abroad in an unknown future. Is it useful to get also PADi certified?

That's the good thing about PADI.
If you dive over seas or go on a cruise you'll have no problems diving. I showed them my TDI caed last time I went and one of the people booking the dive had to ask the boss if this was OK.
They had a PADI poster on the wall.
Fred

yes, if nothing else, PADI is so well known all over that you will get no hassle when
you whip out your PADI card. if it's not much money, i would say go for it.

I don't know how well known CMAS is worldwide, or if anyone has had trouble showing a CMAS card.

anyone have any imput on this?

Yes, thats a good idea. PADI is the mc' donalds of diving. its everywhere. But i think PDIC will give you a better aow course. DOnt know if they will accept you CMAS certificate. If you opt for PADI, remember to do the scuba tune-up and little standart changes on the basic skills. Good Luck

I would be surprised if you have any trouble diving with a CMAS card. All most resorts are looking for is a card that says you have been certified. All they want is some one to pass the buck to. I don't think any resort has actually read any of my cards, just looked at the picture and sent me diving.
But I don't think any extra training would be detrimental.

Joe

CMAS is as acceptable as PADI. If they haven’t heard of it or don’t understand the star levels run away because they have their heads in the sand and you probably don’t want to dive with them.

nwdiver2:
CMAS is as acceptable as PADI. If they haven’t heard of it or don’t understand the star levels run away because they have their heads in the sand and you probably don’t want to dive with them.

You don't need to crossover if your only goal is to trade your CMAS ** against an AOW. CMAS is a respected worldwide organization. In the States, their affiliate is the YMCA and that's as good as it gets. Any center that turns you down is probably just trying to force a sale on you.

You will have no problem getting your CMAS recognized and quite frankly many people will value a 2* CMAS much higher than a PADI AOW.

CMAS is a non-commercial organization and often operates behind national diving organizations, which is why you don't see them "advertised" as much. However they are a sizeable organization in the diving world and I would expect that worldwide they would rank second (after PADI) in numbers of divers certified.

Seems to me you are focusing on the cards for no particularly good reason.

The reason to do courses is training, exposure to new instructors and ways of doing things, new diving environments, and improvement. A few additional check dives for alot of money doesn't sound like a very good deal from a training perspective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom