Should I get my reg serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an Atomic Z2 that I got in June 2008 along with an Aqualung Octo. Over the the last 2 years they have seen less than 25 dives. I was about to send them for servicing but a friend of mine who has the Atomic B2 suggested I should save my bucks! He said his atomic was serviced after 4 years when it did close to 200 dives! His argument was that this whole regulator service thing is a hoax designed to make the dealers richer and in reality... in a four year period most regulators will rarely corrode to the point where parts need replacing.

Does this make sense to anyone here???

Most quality regs will go many years and 100+ dives, with good user care, before service is necessary. Is it showing any symptom(s) that might warrant service, besides the passing of 2 years?

I dont know what symptoms to looks for since its my first reg setup. It breathes like its new!

Get yourself a gauge to check the IP (intermediate pressure). You can get them so the plug into your LP hose or you can put them into a LP port on the 2st. If you do this regularly, you can get an idea of the health o you regs.

I typically service mine biannually.

Here is a link for one that plugs into your LP hose.

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/cat..._medium=product_search&utm_source=froogle.com

Here is a link to a bunch of other IP gauges.

http://www.scubatools.com/c-21-pressure-gauges.aspx

Last edited:
Here's a random thought: How long does a reg sit in a box from production to first use by the end consumer? I know of dive shops who have had regs unsold for 1-2 years, plus say 6 months from the day it was made. So, hypotheticaly let's say 2.5 years max and it hasnt even hit the water yet....

:popcorn:

Start with the list AWAP suggested. Some of the checks can be revealing.

Where many of the arguments above fall apart is that diving is not the same as sitting in the warehouse or your sock drawer. Only you and your regulator know the inside story on possible (salt) water contamination and any crud you subjected it to.

I totally agree that hardly anyone can ask a regulator to process enough air in a year to necessitate a rebuild. The gotcha is the exceptional dive when something gets in there to start problems. This is where paying attention and using some of the checks like filter condition and IP monitoring can pay off.

You have options but not a free pass.

Pete

If you have as few hours on the reg as claimed, I'd say it would be a waste of $ to service at this point, but some dive shops have those 'breathing machines' in house where they simulate real, demanding diving, also as mentioned, check the IP too....it would be a lot cheaper to just have it examined for proper operation/tuning than bother with an 'annual' unless any red flags are raised during the 'inspection'. Also, there are many reports of regs acting up immediately after service, so you are taking a chance of screwing up a perfectly well functioning reg by an incompetent service tech, unless you already have a hookup to a proven good reg tech, then that won't be an issue. Also, I don't consider it wise to service a reg just before going on an expensive/exotic trip unless you can at least take the reg for a spin in the pool/lake for test diving first after the service but before the trip. One sensitive reg area is the 1st-stage filter, which you can easliy examine for cleanliness/color, make sure it isn't rusty colored or black or green colored, indicatin seawater or oil or rust contamination.....it takes VERY little crud on that filter the drastically reduce reg performance.

Here's a random thought: How long does a reg sit in a box from production to first use by the end consumer? I know of dive shops who have had regs unsold for 1-2 years, plus say 6 months from the day it was made. So, hypotheticaly let's say 2.5 years max and it hasnt even hit the water yet....

:popcorn:

Good question.

If properly stored I think regulators can last quite awhile, but depending on the design of the reg, even when stored the soft seats can take a seating-groove over time. How much this shortens service life (until a rebuild is needed) is something I can't answer, but;

About 6 months ago I did rebuild an older Mares MR-12 Voltrex reg that still had the factory Locktite drops on the first and 2nd stages (the Mares factory seems to favor a drop of red Locktite on the 2nd stage cover-clamp screw, and 1st stage diaphragm adjusting nut), and it still had the older HP poppet, so I knew had not been serviced in several years, if ever.

Even after several years of storage, this older regulator tested 100% fine, and I essentially just rebuilt it for fun and curiousity because it was an ebay reg and I didn't know it's history.

So, a 10+ year old reg on tear-down and inspection showed only minimal seating grooves, was spotless inside, and I'm guessing I could have just dove the reg without servicing and been perfectly happy for another 50-100 dives. Hard to say, but I was surprised at how good the reg looked inside.

I think monitoring the condition of your reg through regular non-invasive testing and close inspection, plus a little good judgement, is more important than a routine "annual" service.

Best wishes.

you could Opt for an inspection and tuning from your Atomic Authorized dealer, they can inspect it for you without doing a full service.

Unlike many other companies, you will not void your warranty by not servicing it "regularly".

25 Dives in 2 years... I did more than that in one week in Bonaire, you should be ashamed :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom