Should I get an old new wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN.ger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
One of the dive shops near me sells old wetsuits that are still technically new in that no one has dove them, but they are years old and do not stretch like the new ones do. As a dirt poor college student, should I consider buying one of these ($50-$80 range) so that I can get out diving more, or would I be wasting my money. Keep in mind I have a very low income, and also need to get a bc, regs, and tanks.

Thanks!
--Dan

If it's never been wet, it's probably a good value. It may not be a great wetsuit, but it should serve the purpose for a few years

I'm in your position as well. I'd say make the most of that opportunity, I can hardly find any good deals where I live. Only Ex-Rental gear is cheap, and that stuff isn't very attractive. I only got lucky with my 6.5mm semidry which was also the previous years model but hadn't been used. Its infinitely more comfortable than a rental suit. I'm always toasty warm now.

Dan.ger

As long as it has been stored well, out of sunlight and severe heat it should be a good deal. Locally you do need a 7mm suit, and usually one with 2X on the core, like a John and jacket or full suit & vest.

I don't know what your frame of reference is but many suits including most from a few years back were by design noticeably firmer and stiffer than the stretch suits of today. The firmer suits provide superior warmth since they don compress as readily at depth. It may not be as aged as you think.

Pete

All of our wetsuits were "last year's model" purchases, some even older, which saved us a bunch, and we've had no problems. Go for it.

It depends.

Wetsuits insulate by the air cells in the the neoprene. These break down over time and the wetsuit loses its insulating properties. For this reason it depends on how old the wetsuits are. If they are slightly used and were in the rental department for only a year or so it's probably a good deal. You can also look online for 'new' wetsuits in the closeout specials many online retailers have. These are generally newish wetsuits that were returned due to fitting problems and can't be sold as new anymore. Might be little more expensive but not by a whole lot and you get a practically new wetsuit at same time with significant savings.

The other possibility renting depending upon how may times you dive and where you dive. Calculate how many times you plan to dive locally v how much it cost to rent and you'll have an idea of how much you actually need to buy a suit at this time. If you buy a thick 7mm suit for local diving but wind up diving only on vacations in warm tropical waters then buying a suit doesn't really make a lot of sense financially and you may be better renting the specific suit for the specific temps you are diving.

Thanks for all your replies!

The suits were definitely older than "last year's model." I stretched the arm cuffs to compare, and the old ones had very little stretch at all, especially compared to the new extra-stretchy ones. They are 7mm full suits, so I'll probs have to invest in a hooded vest too - 7mm as well? They didn't have old hooded vests... I have a hood already, but its just a hood - no vest.

Sounds like a great deal, get it.

A hooded vest like the 7mm Bare step-in along with a 7mm full suit will be the closest thing to a drysuit. it will let you enjoy local diving May through October. Some will say year round if you are tolerant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom