Should I drill holes in the foot of my V12 fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rev. Blade

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The foot pocket of an Oceanic V12 has a closed toe. Any water scooped in next to my boots would tend to drag. The fins have a pair of 1/2" drain holes on the bottom at the toe. I was thinking I might add some more holes. Is there a downside to drilling the foot pocket? Would I somehow be adding drag? Would the foot area be likely to split or tear?

The fins fit well on my boots, so I don't suppose I'm dragging much water as they are... but if I can make them "better" in a couple minutes, I'd like to. On the other hand, if it was a strictly good idea, with no trade off, I would expect Oceanic would sell them with more vents. (more holes = less rubber ... They'd save a few cents per pair of fins. Their profit margins would rocket. :wink: )

I don't think it would be much of a problem. If you look at the fins designed for use with out booties, they have a pretty big hole in them for the toes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom