• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Should i buy custom size wetsuit

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by DirtRider, Dec 14, 2005.

1. DirtRider

DirtRider Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    It seems all the mfg sizing I look at is within an inch of each other and are not my body type. I am not all that irregular though. 6'1" tall, 33" waist, 45" chest, 32" inseam. Will I fit in something like those hyperstretch henderson suits with the added stretching? Size recommendation? Is there a brand that makes suits to fit people who are a bit more fit than average? Or do I need to go custom?

2. ProfessorAronnax

ProfessorAronnax Contributor

3. dbg40

dbg40 Solo Diver

I had the same problem, im a little shorter than you, and have a 49'' chest. After looking at lots of suits I found the Scuba Pro fit best. Guess you could give that a try. Good luck!

4. crlavoie

crlavoie Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Strange, you match my exact dimensions and I thought about selling my custom Atlan but thought it would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Anyway, it wouldn't be wor the hassle where you're in Chicago.

I only paid about $350 for my custom 2 piece 7 Mil Atlan at my LDS and it was a great buy. The suit has wrist and neck seals and was far more comfortable than anything off the rack. The only reason I even thought of selling was because I'm going dry and I simply have too much gear.

I would look into custom. If you contact Atlan, they might be able to point you to a dealer near you.

5. J75

J75 Contributor

Before paying the big bucks for a custom suit, you might want to think about a drysuit. You have a little more leeway with fit and you can get a lot more use out of a drysuit in the Chicago area. :)

6. Divedoggie

Divedoggie Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Check out the Bare size chart: The waist on the Large Tall looks to be a bit too big, but, I'd be willing to bet it will fit.

7. spectrum

spectrum Dive Bum Wannabe ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Bare and a few others have tall versions that may work. However I'm thinking that you may be longer than usual in the torso. I'm not as tall but have the same issue. You may beyond the range of anything off ht rack.

My wife also has a custom Atlan (Tahoe) 7mm set and it was somewhat less than the cheapest drysuit. Good stuff.

Pete

8. cfdfirediver

cfdfirediver Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I got my girlfriend a custom Xcel and it was only 425 at my LDS. Only a few $ more than off the rack.

9. Al Mialkovsky

Al Mialkovsky Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Those flexible suits will work for you just fine.

10. ProfessorAronnax

ProfessorAronnax Contributor

That's not bad!