Should i buy custom size wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtRider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It seems all the mfg sizing I look at is within an inch of each other and are not my body type. I am not all that irregular though. 6'1" tall, 33" waist, 45" chest, 32" inseam. Will I fit in something like those hyperstretch henderson suits with the added stretching? Size recommendation? Is there a brand that makes suits to fit people who are a bit more fit than average? Or do I need to go custom?

I had the same problem, im a little shorter than you, and have a 49'' chest. After looking at lots of suits I found the Scuba Pro fit best. Guess you could give that a try. Good luck!

DirtRider:
It seems all the mfg sizing I look at is within an inch of each other and are not my body type. I am not all that irregular though. 6'1" tall, 33" waist, 44" chest, 32" inseam. Will I fit in something like those hyperstretch henderson suits with the added stretching? Size recommendation? Is there a brand that makes suits to fit people who are a bit more fit than average? Or do I need to go custom?

Strange, you match my exact dimensions and I thought about selling my custom Atlan but thought it would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Anyway, it wouldn't be wor the hassle where you're in Chicago.

I only paid about $350 for my custom 2 piece 7 Mil Atlan at my LDS and it was a great buy. The suit has wrist and neck seals and was far more comfortable than anything off the rack. The only reason I even thought of selling was because I'm going dry and I simply have too much gear.

I would look into custom. If you contact Atlan, they might be able to point you to a dealer near you.

Before paying the big bucks for a custom suit, you might want to think about a drysuit. You have a little more leeway with fit and you can get a lot more use out of a drysuit in the Chicago area. :)

Check out the Bare size chart: The waist on the Large Tall looks to be a bit too big, but, I'd be willing to bet it will fit.

Bare and a few others have tall versions that may work. However I'm thinking that you may be longer than usual in the torso. I'm not as tall but have the same issue. You may beyond the range of anything off ht rack.

My wife also has a custom Atlan (Tahoe) 7mm set and it was somewhat less than the cheapest drysuit. Good stuff.

Pete

Those flexible suits will work for you just fine.

Back
Top Bottom