Should I become a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the deal. My LDS has asked me to become a DM and will pay for the insurance and all the training. All I have to do is buy the materials. I am an AOW diver and pretty comfortable in the water, like to help people and have said numerous times that I'll dive with anybody my shop asks me to. I don't have issues diving with new divers and as long as they don't try to kill me I'm fine with shorter dives etc.

I've already prior to this request decided to do the rescue diver course this fall so not much else changes in the schedule for my training except adding on the DM stuff later.

The deal is that they pay for training me and insurance and I'll work as a DM for them on their training dives for the next 2 years, they have about 10 - 15 classes a year and won't work me like a slave although I will do the normal gear setup, cleaning of the gear and stuff like that.

My long term goals are to become a wreck diver, nothing serious in the way of depths or penetration until after my daughter grows up. In other words I'm not doing anything that puts me at a higher risk beyond normal recreational diving until she's grown up. That's 15 years away right now. However I will pursue the training and skills to get me there, as well as acquire the gear I need. I have most of it now.

I don't want to become a slave to a LDS, but I do like to help and so I'm wondering what your experiences have been as a DM and how you got there.

My question regards diving skills needed. I have instructors comment on how well I do almost every time I dive with them, have never had fear issues in the water and plan what I'm doing before I do it. I'm not the kind to just jump off a bridge because it's there, but I can handle surprises without issues due to other training and experiences as a pilot. My concern is just like a pilot I gain some experience each time I dive, run into new issues and ways of dealing with things every time I go out and I know I do not know a lot compared to what I will a year from now, and a year from then. Nothing is static in diving or flying and if you don't learn from each dive you might as well hang it up. My concern is that even though the LDS feels I'm well suited to this I'm hesitant because I'm such a new diver with only 50 dives so far. The dives have ranged from 122 feet on up and various lakes and quarries, vis ranging from I can't see the gage in front of my face to wow, I can see 30 feet today. I've dove wetsuits up to 7mm thick and drysuits from various makers, I currently dive a Viking drysuit.

I have had some minor issues, nothing big and have never run low on air on my own. Before I practiced rock bottom times I did manage to run lower than expected when I donated air to my OOA buddy, but still had enough to handle the situation.

In the end the question boils down to how much experience do you think a person should have prior to becoming a DM?

It won't kill me to tell the shop I'm not ready for this yet, I've debated that for the last couple days just because this is out of the blue for me and not exactly the path I'd thought I'd take in diving. I have wished many times I could help out in the classes and understand this is one way I can do it, but at this point I'd like your opinions as a DM what you possessed prior to being a DM and what you wish you had now that you are one.

With the right instructor the course can do allot to develop your diving even further. I suggest taking the rescue course with the same instructor and see how you feel about it then.

No brainer ...go for it. If someone is willing to pay all expenses you've got nothing to lose but your time. Getting your DM is all about added knowledge and skills. In the end it depends on your goals in diving but at the risk of repeating myself ...if someone else is willing pay all expenses there really isn't much of a decision to make.

I did mine back in the 90's because I wanted more knowledge and experience. No one came forward, including the LDS that I patronized, so it was an all out-of-pocket situation for me.

Anyhew ...that's my $ .02

'Slogger

The books are a big commitment. But you will get about 700-1000 dollars worth of training and insurance. Feel lucky most of us paid for it all and still help out with classes. If the instructor is good the training is worth it.

My DM/AI experinces have all been good but one and I don't have the typing skills to put it in words. I get to go diving the shop pays for my entrance fees and my gas for the weekend. I prefer to help out with advanced or specialty classes. They seem to be alot more fun.

I vote yes.

I would ask that the dollar amount be "converted" into work hours though so that you have a clearer idea of the expectations, otherwise it would be too open ended for me to comit. That should not be that hard if you think about it.....misunderstandings could be avoided by doing this. Barter, trade is wonderful if you can narrow it down a bit.

I'm not a DM, but have been kinda sorta thinking about either DM or instructor at some point.

Keep in mind the additional responsibilities you might be assuming as a "dive professional", and possible legal responsibilities for providing aid, etc. How comfortable do you feel being able to handle multiple problems underwater with folks who have very little experience and are relying on you? And how comfortable do you feel having to defend your actions in a court?

There have been some interesting discussions on this board and elsewhere about DM's, dive professionals and liability, and there are all kinds of opinions on how much this liability is really an issue in practice, but it's something to consider.

I would just worry about the 2 year commitment. If you really weren't thinking of taking this path, then why do it? Yeah, you will get some extra training, but is it worth the amount of hours you will have to put in? If they say they are going to wave your fees, but then decide that you will be at every class they have, you could essentially be getting 5 cents per hour worth of training. Me, personally I would have done it in a heartbeat. Just be careful how much time they are asking for. JYour post makes it sound like you are their slave for 2 years after this!

Go for it! Great offer, and the DM experience is very enjoyable and rewarding. Also, your basic skills and situational awareness will become much more refined.

theskull

p.s. Come down and dive Table Rock or Mermet with us some time.

My DM course was great. They gave me an "extended" internship and got dive for nearly three months all for just the regular DM cost. When I went back to college, I was able to get a retail job in a local LDS. But most important, the responsibilty of backing up instructors on student open water dives and leading regular dives was a confidence booster I couldn't have gotten from just doing regular "buddy" dives. Yeah, you schlep a lot of tanks and have to clean other people's wet suits. Keep in mind, the amount of dives you get for a cut right cost override everything. Go for it. Fifty dives is plenty. Mnay people says they have been diving for 10 years plus, but that can only equal 100 dives.

I would do it. just think of all the knowledge you will gather from it. You will just become a better diver. I am going through my DM right now, and I love it. You get to meet all different people and you come across many different situations in the water. All you can do is learn from this. I think that anything and everything I take away from each class helps me with the next class or with myself when I dive. It teaches you how to handle many different situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom