Should I become a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger:
======================
I wouldn't go quite that far.

I got my DM back in the 90's and helped out at the LDS and on cert trips. When I set up a dive trip for myself I most often don't even tell anyone I'm a DM. Just show my AOW card and away I go. There are times when being a DM on a fun trip offers some perks but otherwise I'm just THERE like any other diver.

'Slogger

You have been very lucky. if something goes wrong and it comes out that you are DM and failed your duty to act in the capacity as a DM you are in big trouble. Sounds to me that you show your AOW card and dismiss any responsibility. That is negligent.

That doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't help out in an emergency, just that they don't want to be be put to work ...

If one is diving as just another diver there is no increased duty to act because of DM status. You do what any decent bystander would do. If you are getting paid or agree to act as a DM for any other type of compensation(free boat ride? etc) that may be a different story. It does not mean that some ambulance chaser may not try to name you but if you have active DM status and are insured you may be covered by that. If you are not active or renewed and are just another diver you are not obligated to act as a DM and should not represent yourself as one. I even though still a DM candidate don't tell anyone on the boat. I'd either use my rescue or master diver card. The op may be aware of my staus if we are on a trip for the shop and I need to make different arrangements but I do not have to work for them.

AquaHump:
You have been very lucky. if something goes wrong and it comes out that you are DM and failed your duty to act in the capacity as a DM you are in big trouble. Sounds to me that you show your AOW card and dismiss any responsibility. That is negligent.
Not true ...

Negligence must be proven ... and there are four things that must be established ...

1. That you had a duty to take action.
2. That you failed that duty.
3. That an injury occurred.
4. That the injury was a direct result of your failure to perform your duty.

Unless the DM has established a responsibility by word, deed, or the fact that they're being compensated for the dive, they have no more duty to act than anyone else.

Now, that's not to say that some creative lawyer, pliable judge, or sympathetic jury won't find a way to interpret the above otherwise ... in America anyone can be sued for anything at anytime. But I think you're overstating the liability issues just a bit.

FWIW - when I'm on vacation, the boat crew is being paid to deal with any accidents that might happen ... I'm just another customer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

JimLap:
If one is diving as just another diver there is no increased duty to act because of DM status. You do what any decent bystander would do. If you are getting paid or agree to act as a DM for any other type of compensation(free boat ride? etc) that may be a different story. It does not mean that some ambulance chaser may not try to name you but if you have active DM status and are insured you may be covered by that. If you are not active or renewed and are just another diver you are not obligated to act as a DM and should not represent yourself as one. I even though still a DM candidate don't tell anyone on the boat. I'd either use my rescue or master diver card. The op may be aware of my staus if we are on a trip for the shop and I need to make different arrangements but I do not have to work for them.

Bob made some excellent points. If you are on a boat and their is an accident, you will probably be named in a suit. The status of all abord will be investigated and they will soon know yours. My lawyer (who I trained through nitrox and AOW) told me that being named in a suit means only that you may have to give a statement.

On a boat as a paying vacationer, I still find it difficult to be just that. My eyes are always open, I've observed everyone else on board for skill level, attitude, and fitness to dive, and made friends. Oddly, I find that I am nearly never asked for a card........ so which one to show is not an issue. If there is a small, quiet way to help someone out, I will do it. It's like being a mom - once a mom, always a mom.

I've been very lucky and been around mostly either very competent divers, or divers under watch of some other instructor. It wont always be that way, I am sure....

Matthew, as far as DM training goes, I agree with the considerations posted on either side of paying or becoming an indentured servant. I worked for most of my training. At one shop, I had no agreement and it took 9 months for them to cough up my divecon card. In the meantime, I went to work with another course director whoh took me through DM, instructor, tech, and tech instructor over the course of several years. We had clear agreements, and it worked very well.

You don't have all that many dives, but apparently your shop sees potential in you. DM training and helping with classes is a great way to get in a lot of working dives and a great way to learn a lot about yourself and your skills. Working for the DM cert will assure that you will put in a lot of pool time and do a lot of shallow, easy, OW dives while task loaded - a great way to learn as well.

Have you, yet, asked yourself why you want to be a DM in the first place? It's hard work, thankless, and often you don't even get tips. If you love helping people, have a high energy level, and are good at herding cats, you're probably going in the right direction :)

Good luck!

DM training, when done right, takes time. I frequently tell students their dive instructor will help them move down the path to becoming a good diver, but at some point they will realize that the best instructor of all is the ocean. In other words people become good divers by diving. Hopefully the instructor helps as opposed to harming.

Divemaster training training without exposure to students is done, but personally I believe that it leaves a lot to be desired. Working with students is the way one gets experience as a DM. One can spend a lot of time discussing distressed divers, but there is nothing quite like the experience of actually trying to manage a panicked diver who has spit out their regulator and is boltng for the surface! Nine months of internship sounds like a lot but it does not seem all that unreasonable to me. I agree that a DM candidate should not be an indentured servant and would add that most of the internship experience should be in the water.

I agree that 50 dives is enough to get started. Keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time in the water, learning and applying a lot of theory, perfecting your skills as well as learning some new ones, dealing with equipment issues and lots of other things. Rest assured that you will come out of the process a much better diver than you are today.

Another thing check on is whether the shop will give you access to their key man pricing or some significant discounts on equipment. Many shops don't pay much, if anything, for DM help but discounts can be significant. Finally, you might want to discuss an option to buy out of the 2 year agreement for the cost (or some portion) of the class if you feel it is not working out.

Let me start by saying that I am not a DM. I am curious why you are seriously considering a path that does not fit into your goals as a wreck diver. Sure, you might improve your diving, but you'd do that anyway by increasing the complexity of your fun dives over time. Repeating OW dives #1-4 a hundred times won't get you that far along in your OWN skills, though it will improve your rescuse skills by far.

Sounds to me like your LDS is steering you towards a life of shop servant....in the name of giving you free training. I've seen this happen to a few folks, and believe me, there is NO such thing as a free lunch.

Unless you have plans to make a career of diving, I've never seen any reason to become a DM.

stardiver:
Have you, yet, asked yourself why you want to be a DM in the first place? It's hard work, thankless, and often you don't even get tips. If you love helping people, have a high energy level, and are good at herding cats, you're probably going in the right direction :)

The only reason I have even considered it was because I enjoy helping others.

I enjoy people in other words. I don't consider myself the best, merely competent at those things I enjoy. I wouldn't dare to presume I'd do this job as a means of earning money, nor as a means for getting deals.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I could do better than the deals I get already. I get free air for life, my gear I've bought new has been priced below that of any Internet dealer authorized or not, and I get free service. So it's not to get deals.

The only reason is that I'd like to be able to help new students get a grasp on things and get off to a good start, enjoy diving and that's about it.

However, I've decided that there are only so many free weekends I have in a year, for me that's roughly 26 weekends a year. I'm a bit selfish I guess but I'd like some of those to be with my daughter and some of them for diving, and if I took the deal I'd lose control of the ability to choose when to do those things. Of course I have to work in CAP and flying as well.

I'd like to be able to be a DM to help, but I don't think it's going to work out for me at this time. I will continue the training towards that end as much as I can so when things get slack I'll be able to jump on it. Of course the problem is that I want it so bad because I'd be able to help others do the things I love to do, that's why I'd prefer to work with students vs the already qualifed diver.

Matthew,

Good choice! Obviously no one can tell you which decision to make, it's one that you have to choice. Good luck!

In comparison, my LDS had also asked me to do the DM course. I thought about it for a couple of weeks before I simply declined. I enjoy diving...I enjoy diving different dives...I enjoy helping others, too...but mostly, I just enjoy diving.

Maybe one day we both will go through the DM course, until then....we'll just enjoy diving!

see ya under!

cummings66:
The only reason I have even considered it was because I enjoy helping others.

I enjoy people in other words. I don't consider myself the best, merely competent at those things I enjoy. I wouldn't dare to presume I'd do this job as a means of earning money, nor as a means for getting deals.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I could do better than the deals I get already. I get free air for life, my gear I've bought new has been priced below that of any Internet dealer authorized or not, and I get free service. So it's not to get deals.

The only reason is that I'd like to be able to help new students get a grasp on things and get off to a good start, enjoy diving and that's about it.

However, I've decided that there are only so many free weekends I have in a year, for me that's roughly 26 weekends a year. I'm a bit selfish I guess but I'd like some of those to be with my daughter and some of them for diving, and if I took the deal I'd lose control of the ability to choose when to do those things. Of course I have to work in CAP and flying as well.

I'd like to be able to be a DM to help, but I don't think it's going to work out for me at this time. I will continue the training towards that end as much as I can so when things get slack I'll be able to jump on it. Of course the problem is that I want it so bad because I'd be able to help others do the things I love to do, that's why I'd prefer to work with students vs the already qualifed diver.

CAP?

Life is all about priorities, for those of us who like to have way too much fun. Sounds like you have yours straight at this point in life. You'll never regret the time you spend with your daughter, and if you let that time slip away now, its gone forever. You'll be a great DM when the time is right for you to make that committment.

When you decide to do the DM, come to Washington :)

* , mom to 2 grownup diver-boys

Back
Top Bottom