Should I be scared of diving with this guy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, I work with a company full of them. I'm an EE but I spend most of my time writing technical documentation. My mistakes generate "interest" from the FDA.

BTW, you say SHHHHHHH better than any librarian I know Debby :D

That's because I spell "shh" ess tee eff ewe! :rofl3:

Maybe English isn't the guy's first language. His English is a whole lot better than my French or Spanish!!!

You MUST go on a dive with him and report back!! :crafty:

When are you planning on diving with him? I'll be glad to accompany you two...I'm always looking for a dive buddy too.
Obviously the general consensus is that typing (or computer) skills are neither directly or indirectly correlated with scuba skills or safety.
As for me, I'm too old (49) to be reckless but young enough to be adventurous.

Hey, good replies. Keep 'em coming. I know typing and blogging on the web kind of invites a lackadaisical attitude toward good writing skills. My company is no exception. It got so bad that the IT guy sent out a memo that it was poor form to correct another individual for incorrect grammer and spelling when it came to informal correspondence. I think it was mainly because a lot of the criticism was directed at him! Most of us make a bit of an effort to communicate accurately in word and speech, so when a person spells words purely phonetically, I can't help but wonder.

Actually I can't blame it all on my Mom either. When I was in the military, they were absolutely anal about written correspondence of any kind. Grammer wasn't that big of an issue, but there could be no spelling errors and no mistakes that were crossed out and rewritten. The idea being that a misspelled word or an improperly used word (there, their, they're and to, too, two as examples) could cause a cascade effect of errors as messages were relayed from station to station and ultimately lead to unnecessary deaths. Ever play the game "radio" as a kid? That's why the military uses a phonetic alphabet and spoken number system.

Oh, and I do take exception to those who think docs are some of the worst offenders. The common conception is that since many have atrocious handwriting skills, their grammer and spelling must follow suit. I don't think I've ever seen a doc misspell a prescription, procedure, or those tough Latin names of body parts.

Ummmm, what is this word "grammer"?

Isn't that what you call your parents' mother? :rofl3:

Sorry, couldn't resist...I just want to point out that we all make mistakes. Give the guy a chance, he sounds friendly enough.

I'd be interested in finding the shrimp boat wreck off of Boca.

Ummmm, what is this word "grammer"?

Isn't that what you call your parents' mother? :rofl3:

Sorry, couldn't resist...I just want to point out that we all make mistakes. Give the guy a chance, he sounds friendly enough.

You stayed up later than I did last night :)

I'd be interested in finding the shrimp boat wreck off of Boca.

There's no shrimp boat wreck off Boca Raton that I'm aware of :shakehead:

(I know, you meant Boca Grande :) )

But then again, there's no major diving in Largo but there's plenty in Key Largo.

As all of you know I suffer this same problem. My Father had this same issue and was a very successful business man. I notice that one of my 3 sons also have this affliction maybe it is hereditary.
Personally I graduated with a BA and a cumulative 3.91 GPA. So don’t let a few grammatical errors fool anyone
Kim P

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom