Should ear equalization always sound the same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I realize that it probably sounds a bit different for everybody, and maybe for some people it doesn't make a sound at all, but should ear equalization always sound the same for a given person? For me, it normally sounds like a squeak, but yesterday it sounded totally different, like shampoo suds crackling in my ear. I was still able to equalize, so I continued that dive, below 60ft or so, any further equalizations resulted in my familiar squeak. From what I've read, both sounds might occur during normal equalization, but is it unusual for the sound to be completely different from the usual on occasion?

Do you have trouble equalizing? Do you take any meds for allergies?

partial blockage of Eustachian tube can sound like that, probably you may be recovering or entering into common cold,

Hi oreocookie,

Provided that you are able to equalize gently, consistently, painlessly & effectively on both ascent & descent, have no identifiable ear issues and otherwise feel well, there likely is no reason to be concerned about an occasional change in sound that might occur during normal equalization.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thanks for the responses. I've had a couple of days off since that dive so my ears have gotten a bit of a rest and I'll see how things go tomorrow.

When I first started diving, I had a lot of trouble equalizing. I heard all the sounds you describe when I did. Now my ears are very accustomed to equalizing and do it easily. I usually don't hear a thing when they do, but occasionally I will still hear that little squeak.

When I first started diving, I had a lot of trouble equalizing. I heard all the sounds you describe when I did. Now my ears are very accustomed to equalizing and do it easily. I usually don't hear a thing when they do, but occasionally I will still hear that little squeak.
My home bud has challenges the first few days of a dive trip, then it gets easier right before it's time to rinse, dry, and pack to go home. We use all known methods to make his easier, but some folks take more work.

Oreo didn't answer my questions so I don't know here. Good luck...

Don, to answer your questions: no, I don't normally have problems equalizing and i don't have to descent slowly to do it very often. I don't take allergy meds either

Don, to answer your questions: no, I don't normally have problems equalizing and i don't have to descent slowly to do it very often. I don't take allergy meds either
Ok, thanks. Bodies change of course so as suggested above - you might have been coming down with something.

I had hay fever problems on Cozumel last week, which is unusual - I usually look forward to get away from my allergens there, but fortunately took enough Actifed. No problems.

The sound will change if the caliber of the passage the air is moving through changes. So, for example, if you waited too long to clear, you might get a higher-pitched sound than normal. If there is any fluid in the middle ear from a prior dive, you may get crackling. As Doc Vikingo says, as long as you can equalize easily and there is no discomfort, there is no reason for concern.

Back
Top Bottom