shots for roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on,
Your asking health advice from an anonymous scuba internet forum? Just think about how stupid that is. A good friend of mine, a local sherriff, when another friend, a firefighter/EMT would always have a cooler full of cold beer waiting once the 4 or 5 hour deco was completed, called the beer nitrogen diffusors. Is this really the type of folk you want to ask about health concerns. TALK to a medical professional knowledgable in travel meds that can inform you of your options once informed of your own medical history, Anything else is just stupid if you are serious about the information.

As an instructor what do you tell students interested in dive travel??

Last edited:
Google Travel Medicine and find the closest clinic. Contact them and they can give you all the information you need. Our clinic is over an hour away and didn't we didn't get in because we ran out of time before our trip. But, I did talk to them over the phone and they said they could set us up with everything we needed to go to Roatan.

When we went, we made sure we were current on all vaccinations. My wife was able to get a prescription for Malaria Meds, me and the boy did not. So far, no issues. The wife quit the malaria meds because of the side affects she was having.

Snagel

This link might be of help:

Health Information for Honduras | CDC Travelers' Health

That said we just make sure our basic shots are up to date before any trip.
Good link & info, altho the Routine portion could include Tetanus & Flu. Hep A & B could be included under Routine. Typhoid & Rabies are not much of a concern in tourist areas as long as one avoids touching animals; if you see a sick bat on the ground, just report it. So many play with the monkeys tho... :idk:

I've never taken Iodine tablets, just stick to bottled water from safe sources, but overall the page is a good read for personal decisions. I do take a malaria prophylactic but there are other reasons to avoid insect bites as listed. :thumb:

I am a an RN and years ago I administered immunizations and drug protocols for traveling clients. I am up to date on immunizations such as Hep A and B, flu and my dT. I am considering Malaria protection for my visit to Roatan in Jan. I think it would be wise to check out sites like Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and www.who.int to get up to date recommendations. Personally(disclaimer that this is only my opinion), I do not get all the immunizations recommended because they are not without their side effects. When traveling to more rural areas I take probiotic supplements(i.e Align from Walgreen's) prior to departure and during my vacation. So far I have dodged travelers diarrhea and other stomach related issues with minimal side effects.

I think you need to read up on these diseases and the immunizations and decide what you are comfortable with and if you feel the risks from the disease out weigh the treatment. There are many opinions on this issue. Do your homework and decide what is in your best interest. Safe travels :D

I am a physician and a diver. My office has travel medicine clinic which I am the physician administrator. The best advice is to seek out a travel clinic in your area. However, if cost or time is an issue, the cdc.gov website is valid and has recommendations for Roatan or any area your traveling to. Many of the recommended vaccines are available for minimum cost through you local health department. My thought though is good health is priceless, so seek out someone qualified to answer your travel health concerns (no offense but not the scuba board!).

Hi all I was just checking to see if there was anything my doc might not be aware of, from people who are there/ been there , rather than just 'read'it somewhere lol

Come on,
Your asking health advice from an anonymous scuba internet forum? Just think about how stupid that is. ...

I don't think it's stupid. I assumed he just wanted to know what others thought. The CDC has great info but local insights are often helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom