Shortage of PST tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarleyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My LDS says some PST tanks are sold-out, back-ordered and won't be avail till APR-04 & the E8-149's are still no where on the horizen. Anybody know what's going on there?

My LDS tried to order me an E8-130 earlier this month and couldn't get delivery. Good thing I'll be heading to Belize and Honduras for most of the winter so I can wait to get my new tank for a while!

Dr. Bill

Yes this info HAS been confirmed by PST, no tanks till mid April 04

cause I just got a set of e7-100's and a LP 80. my lds ordered them around thanksgiving and I got them two weeks later...

My LDS owner told me today he ordered several PST E8-130's a couple weeks ago, and instead of telling him directly when he placed the order that they wouldn't be available for a few months, there was a little note in his email confirmation that they would be delayed. Real professional. But for those willing to pay an extra $50 for shipping, Leisure Pro has *all* the new PST cylinders in stock (as of this writing) at full retail prices.

CRDiver:
My LDS owner told me today he ordered several PST E8-130's a couple weeks ago, and instead of telling him directly when he placed the order that they wouldn't be available for a few months, there was a little note in his email confirmation that they would be delayed. Real professional. But for those willing to pay an extra $50 for shipping, Leisure Pro has *all* the new PST cylinders in stock (as of this writing) at full retail prices.

I don't even see any mention of the E8 series on their website.

After previous issues raised concern, I had contacted the majority owner of PST regarding the future viability of his company. I never received an answer. PST manager Thomas Ivey indicated that the future of PST was indeed solid. Previous batches of the E-series tanks reportedly exhibited some problems. Now we hear that new E-series tanks will not be available for several months.

Personally I think something seems a little fishy here. I would much prefer that a manufacturer addressed speculation and resulting concerns honestly. I'm beginning to wonder if that was the case.

Perhaps I will be glad I didn't get a new PST tank when my 10 year old one unexpectedly failed hydro earlier this year. I do miss getting two good dives out of a single fill.

Dr. Bill

Guys, I would not be worrying here. This happens every year with PST. They only make a certain amount of tanks so they dont get old (they stamp them after hydro, hence the time issue), and they ALWAYS have a period where tanks are not available for several months.

Also, PST has been around for much longer than most of us have been alive.
As far as concerns over the new E series cylinders, STOP WORRYING!!!! Out of the thousands of cylinders that PST produced, there were only TWO incidences of water contamination inside of a cylinder. Thats it... The rest were not any contamination at all, just a stain from the drying process, which is normal for these cylinders.

SO, again, dont worry. Stop feeding into the rumor mill. Everyone will be happy again when they start shipping tanks again. Place your orders, and all will be OK...

CRDiver:

YOu guys are too much. PST does all orders by FAX, you fax in your order, and you get a confirmation fax back that tells you when the cylinder will ship _OR_ when they will be available. Nothing unprofessional about that.

Guys, please stop this whining... Its getting old. I think everyone just needs to go on a trip this winter. Check out Bonaire, Honduras, or the Caymans and stop worrying about PST!!!

LUBOLD8431- Thanks for your input on the unavailability of PST tanks. My last one was purchased 10 years ago and I hadn't expected to have to replace it so quickly. I don't understand why they wouldn't produce tanks continuously if there is demand, especially with the new E-series.

I personally know of more than two bad tanks from PST in the last 6 months.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom