Shortage of hot dipped galvanized tanks in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunny_diver

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know more about the shortage of hot dipped galvanized tanks in the US?

I hear rumors they might be discontinued.

That is not really a surprise as the process is environmentally "unpopular". Was one of the reasons (environmental regulatory oversight) Worthington exited years ago. Need foreign countries with lax environmental regulations to keep it going (if that is a good thing)....

i'm surprised Faber just doesn't make them in China then since they have a factory there already

its the manufacturing process that is the issue, because it uses high temperatures and industrial acids. the waste treatment/disposal and air emissions are the key concerns. proper disposal and abatement is expensive, so it becomes can you be certain the manufacturer won't cut corners due to costs and also at a certain point, it becomes extremely difficult to meet water and air standards that are getting tightened that it becomes impractical to continue.

The only manufacturer left making them for sale in the US is Faber AFAIK. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. So if Faber stops making them, then yes, "they" would be discontinued. There will remain many on the used market as these tanks last decades and decades if properly cared for, but they would become harder to find as those of us with existing HDG tanks have zero intention of parting with them!!

As far as a shortage, I see DGX is out of HP100s (they have a shipment coming) but they have all other sizes in stock. The last time I was in Force-E in Riviera Beach FL (a few weeks ago), they had many HDG tanks on the floor for sale.

HDG will be around, you just have to get active and look for them. More people are getting out of diving than getting in so there is/will be a good used market. Don’t expect them to be cheap though. My dive shop can only get painted so it’s real. If paint is done right it’s ok just needs to cared for and inspected more.
I’m looking for another HP 120 HDG, BTW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom