Shore diving on The Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jono33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Most of my questions have already been answered on other threads, but I haven't posted anything yet and figured I should... the thing on the top of my screen keeps reminding me to. Anyway, I'm gonna be staying in Hilo from May 30th to June 17th. We'll also be going to Kawai'i for a few days. Our budget is limited, so we were hoping to do some shore diving. We'll probably also do the manta dive from Kona, but would like to do shore diving too. Probably bringing 3mil wetsuits. Anyone have any good shore diving spots? we'd love to find some around Hilo as that's where we'll be staying, but we might rent a car or something and spend a couple of days in Kona too. 3 mil wetsuit good? need hoods too? any other advice on Kawai'i diving? We'll be talking with people there too, just thought I should post something here and see if anyone has any good advice. Thanks-jono

Thanks for the info fellas, looking forward to it. that shore diving site looks like it has some good advice.

Most of my questions have already been answered on other threads, but I haven't posted anything yet and figured I should... the thing on the top of my screen keeps reminding me to. Anyway, I'm gonna be staying in Hilo from May 30th to June 17th. We'll also be going to Kawai'i for a few days. Our budget is limited, so we were hoping to do some shore diving. We'll probably also do the manta dive from Kona, but would like to do shore diving too. Probably bringing 3mil wetsuits. Anyone have any good shore diving spots? we'd love to find some around Hilo as that's where we'll be staying, but we might rent a car or something and spend a couple of days in Kona too. 3 mil wetsuit good? need hoods too? any other advice on Kawai'i diving? We'll be talking with people there too, just thought I should post something here and see if anyone has any good advice. Thanks-jono

This is a late reply, but anyway:

Shore diving on the Big Island is great. The links given by Kevrumbo are a good start. Some of the info is a little dated, but good enough to get you in the water, which is all that counts.

Kona is the best choice if you are visiting for a limited time, because Hilo-side diving can be "hit and miss" due to the weather. Hilo is on the windward side of the island, thus we get the wind, waves and rain. There are a couple good dive spots right in Hilo (Leleiwi is the best). But you have to hit them on calm days. Visibility on the Hilo side is generally less than on the Kona side... sometimes a lot less. On a dive I did a couple days ago at Leleiwi, the viz was about 40-50 feet, and would be what I would consider a low-average viz day. Great days can be 80+ at Leleiwi, but a typical good day in Kona can be 100+, and there are a lot more good days in Kona than there are great viz days in Hilo.

Having said all of that, :D , when Leleiwi does have an 80' viz day, it is a great dive. So if you will be in Hilo for a bit, I'd recommend a dive at Leleiwi (weather permitting). Bill, the owner of Nautilus Dive Center in downtown Hilo is the resident Leleiwi expert, and can give you good advice on diving there.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom