Shore diving on Oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itch808

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was wondering what are some good shore dives along the east/south shore since north/west right now is undiveable. I found this and I'm not sure which/if any of these are accessible from the beach (except Hanauma Bay, which I've tried). I've only done a couple of the typical ones via boat like the YO, Corsair, but I figure there has to be some reachable by shore.

wpeB7.jpg

I also noticed a "pipe" going out from the middle of kakaako park where the stairs lead down. I'm not sure if that's the "Kewalo Pipe" or not. I'm not even sure if there's much to see there, I only swam out a little. If anyone has any tips, headings, I could use for each place I'd really appreciate it, Thanks! :D

Lanai lookout and Blowhole are both great shore dives. For these you have to watch conditions and you should go out with somebody that has dove them before as the exits (especially for Lanai lookout) can be tricky.

You are right about the stairs and pipe at Kakaako park (point panic). Kewalo Pipe is that shore dive and you should be able to follow it all the way out to the end and back with air left over. it can be a nice easy dive and the reef to the west of the pipe is interesting as well (just past the first bouy you will see as you swim out). Those are the main shore dives that I know about on the South Shore. There is one more, Magic Island, which can be pretty nice if it hasn't rained in a bit. You go into Ala Moana Park and go all the way to the East End. The entrance is all the way down the sidewalk and down a small beach area. You will dive out in front of the break-wall at the end of the channel.

http://www.hawaiiscubadiving.com/home/dive-sites.html
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Oahu/index.htm

Here are two websites that offer so further information.

I was gonna suggest the sites that Rockjock posted...so what he says :D

Thats about it.

Yup, ROck Jock covered them... on another note... I finally dove Lanai Lookout this weekend! Wow, what a dive!!! Definitally the best shore dive I have done on the Island. Again as Rockjock said... go with someone who has dove it before.

Just dove the pipe from shore...yet again...I'd go with someone who had gone before. On a side note, enter from stairs on John Dominis side, and exit from the stairs on the protected little inlet more on the Ewa/ West die of the park. You may want to walk the park to see both entry/ exit points.

If you go mid-morning, around 10:30am, you will most likely see the boats anchored off the mooring line on the pipe. Use the gigantor antenna as a land mark.

Have fun and be safe.

Awwww...had I know, I'd have been on the lookout...1 for 1 thus far in locating lost masks...in some 1 - 2 foot surf, found a bud's mask at Electric Beach. Sorry about the loss man!

Is "rainbow reef" and "turtle reef" too far off from the shore? I'd love to try Lanai lookout and the blowhole, but I don't know anyone who has gone before. I'll have to try the pipe, of late all the shore diving I've been doing is at Hanauma Bay. But finding parking and the constant trolley rides are getting tiresome...

H-Bay / Trolley rides?

Heck, me and my bud hiked both ways, with gear. Funny how going down was easier...

Back
Top Bottom