Shore diving on Oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I know it, Rainbow Reef is outside of the Magic Island lagoon. It is a considerable walk with gear from the parking lot between Ala Moana beach and the Ala Wai harbor out to the end of Magic Island. Entry is on the harbor channel side, in an elbow of the rock wall (small sandy area).

If you start your dive at the first harbor channel marker I would call that dive Magic Island. Many cheap OW classes do their confined water in the lagoon and then open water skills near that channel marker (very silty both places). The area farther out under the boat traffic is interesting, with lot's of turtles around a bunch of cement poles scattered around the outer channel marker and big boats going overhead.

I prefer to surface swim all the way out past the end of Majic Island to a nice sand channel west of the harbor channel. Skills are easier there due to much less silt and I have had excellent dives going farther out and west from there; feeding eagle rays, octo, eels, scorpion fish, lots of turtles and plenty of fish. That's Rainbow Reef.

It's best to come back to the sand channel with a minimum of 800psi so you can stay under all the way to the inner channel marker. If the tide is going out and the trades are down on the water the surface swim back is extreme to impossible. Do not do these dives without a dive flag. This area is a last resort dive, even with 3-4ft at e-beach I would go there.

sloyota:
H-Bay / Trolley rides?

Heck, me and my bud hiked both ways, with gear. Funny how going down was easier...

I always dive with the gf and she refuses to hike up/down. I personally don't mind since I usually end up carrying her weight belt, fins, etc. :11doh:

Looks like we have time this Friday to try the pipe, woohoo!

princessniko25:
I always dive with the gf and she refuses to hike up/down. I personally don't mind since I usually end up carrying her weight belt, fins, etc. :11doh:

Looks like we have time this Friday to try the pipe, woohoo!

Whooops! I'm using her computer and I didn't realize she was logged onto scubaboard. It looks like I made her first post for her...lol

halemano:
This area is a last resort dive, even with 3-4ft at e-beach I would go there.

Wow! Ok, thanks for the tips. I guess it really isn't worth it. I have a dive flag but mine's a collapsable one that folds up into my BC. I'm guessing a float would be better in that area.

Well things got changed a bit, I was planning on a afternoon trip out there but my gf's shift got moved from night to morning. We're still going diving, but at night now. She booked us a night dive with the Dive Oahu guys. Since those guys typically go to the same spots everytime, I'm guessing we're going to the Seatiger first and then the Pipe after. I'm still looking forward to diving the pipe by shore, not to mention it's cheaper :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom