Shore diving on Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll chime in on ShakaDoug as I am unbiased non-resident . When I was on Maui several weeks back I ended up having an extra morning in which to work in a dive. B&B Scuba gave me Doug's # and I called to try to arrange a dive for the next morning (my last available day before no-fly time). At first Doug had prior arrangements and said he wouldn't be able to dive, I was bummed but resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn’t get one last dive in before leaving. Doug called me back later that night and said he made arrangements so he could accommodate me. Needless to say I was pretty impressed that he would rearrange his schedule to get me one last dive (now I don't know if he did this to be a swell guy or chase a buck and I don't care either way-I got to dive). Doug led me and a few other divers at 5-caves and he proved to be a knowledgeable and attentive guide.
BTW-Getting to check out Doug's dive van is worth the price of admission:wink:.

Another vote for Doug at Shaka Divers, no referral fees here either just a good solid recommendation for Doug. Every dive I have done with him has been great!

I've sent Doug a couple of divers from the shop I work for and they've returned happy and went on and on about the wonderful time he showed them. No complaints. I've also met some of the dive leaders from Maui Dreams and they seem top notch themselves. But Doug stands alone when it comes to the ability to put a smile on someones face.

I just saw in the Maui Weekly Classifieds an add for Shaka: Make $10 Referring Someone to Shaka Divers...

Sean
Usually when I see Shaka Doug, he's doing a pre-dive briefing for a group of guys and gals in their 20's. Maybe there are a bunch of nightclub bartenders getting lots of referral fees. :D

Last winter I was headed off to do a shore dive and noticed bubbles floating around. It took me a while to realize that Shaka Doug's bus was a couple of cars ahead of me, and that he had bubble makers going as he went down the road to Makena Landing. Shaka Doug is definitely one of a kind.

LOL I think it's good business to pay for referrals... I think it must be tough to live by shore diving alone... I'd definitely pay!

Sean
Good business or not, it's out of control here.

I wasn't joking at the 40% -- some of the snorkel boats pay that much to the activity agent. I don't know of many business that spend 40% of their gross income on advertising!

FWIW, it seems to actually be easier to make money shore diving than boat diving -- at least doing the shore stuff there's no boat maintenance to deal with, AND it's not that much cheaper to shore dive (with a guide).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom