Shore diving on Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdubdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Who is a good operation to go to for shore diving on Maui? or does anyone in this forum conduct guided shore dives? I will be on Maui at the begining of January mostly in the Kihei area.

In the Kihei area you can go with Shaka Doug or Maui Dreams. Both are highly recommended for shore diving, though I always feel like Shaka Doug is slightly more recommended (but that's just my perception).

There are quite a few locals that will likely dive with you if you ask, so stay tuned, I'm sure some will pipe up and offer. :wink:

Maui Dreams and Shaka Doug are both excellent sources for shore dives. Since the spirit of aloha is alive and well here I am sure that the recommendations are not influenced by the commission that Doug pays for referral of clients. His reputation is based in good solid service.

Maui Dreams also provides excellent service and a complete shop to support their activities.

The guides through Maui Dreams and Doug all know the reefs and critters well and will make your shore dives come alive with their local knowledge.

Come play and have fun.

Since the spirit of aloha is alive and well here I am sure that the recommendations are not influenced by the commission that Doug pays for referral of clients. His reputation is based in good solid service.
Not sure what you're implying (if anything - I'm slightly :confused:) but I don't even know Shaka Doug except through his posts on Scubaboard.

sjspeck

Sorry I am tired and didn't realize how that may have sounded like an accusation. I made a recommendation to some folks in person to Shaka Doug and they later came back to thank me because they found him to be everything I had described. However, since they had seen his ad for referrals and compensation they kind of insinuated that they thought I was only recommending him for the money.

I didn't want the poster of this thread to come across Doug's marketing and think we were all just part of the plan. There's nothing wrong with compensating folks for good leads so you can impress and take care of more divers. But, I was actually just trying to say that many of us recommend Doug and don't want, need, or get compensated. His reputation is all the advertising that he needs.

No ofense intended. I should go get some rest now;-0

I don't know about Doug, but I do know that Maui Dreams doesn't pay any referral fees. That's part of how their prices are significantly lower than some of the other providers.

A good Maui tip: always try and book directly. Activity bookers get anywhere from 25-40% commission (depending on the provider) and will often book & promote according to who pays them the most. Oftentimes, the provider will offer a discount similar to what they pay the booking agent if you book directly.

I'm often interested in going diving with out-of-towners, but my schedule doesn't always allow it. Send me a PM when the time gets closer, and at the very least, I'll try and hook you up with another local. :)

I didn't take it as an accusation so no problem. I didn't know he had a referral program either...

I didn't know anything about Doug's referral program either. I simply recommended him based on the oodles of great reviews I've read about his service. I still recommend him based on his reputation.

I've recommended Doug frequently based only on how happy his divers are standing around his "Scuba Bus" after the dive. That and he has a reputation for safety being close to his heart ... and I too didn't know about a referral program (maybe we should all go look it up though :wink: )

When you get close to your travel dates drop me a PM and if my schedule permits we can get together for some shore diving up here in Lahaina too.

Aloha, Tim

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom