shore diving morehead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you've a boat, your options open up hugely. I'll only cover the ones that I dive out of my 17' boat as it seems you all have slightly larger vessels.

The second jetty mentioned is the Cape Lookout Jetty. Often the viz here is much better than RIRJ and not nearly as tide dependent. I dove it 3 wks ago and had 30' of viz easily. It's only a few mile out of Bft Inlet, just look for the lighthouse. You can run the inside near Harkers Island but there are some tight turns headed toward Bardens Inlet coming out of Cape Lookout.

Next would be the Sen. Duhamel trawler. A few miles off Cape Lookout, around 50' depth but viz here is really dependent on the current on CL shoals, which change minute by minute.

AR 315 is less than a mile off Atlantic Beach and just over 2 miles out of Bft Inlet, with the Liberty ship in 50' of water. Viz is usually 5'-15' and there are numerous other structures in the same vicinity.

AR 320 is just a little furter west and about 1.5 miles off the beach. Again there is a 130+ Menhaden boat and many other pieces of the old AB bridge in the area. Lots of flounder.

The Indra, is only 7 miles off the beach and 11 mi out of the inlet. Viz will be much better here with an avg of 20' but usually better.

Both boats have the ability to make it to all these sites. I'd recommend starting with AR 315 first until you get hang of things. If you have any more specific questions on any of these locations, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them for you or give you more specific details on them.

-coop

suthnbelle, you better call soon, i was lucky to get an afternoon dive with olympus on the 23rd and a week from this tues with discovery....thats y we are going to the island, especialy after hearing about the crab possibilties!!! YUM

foneguy:
suthnbelle, you better call soon, i was lucky to get an afternoon dive with olympus on the 23rd and a week from this tues with discovery....thats y we are going to the island, especialy after hearing about the crab possibilties!!! YUM

You're right, I probably need to go ahead book the dive. I'm REALLY bad for putting things off until the last minute. If anyone will be in Morehead the third week in August, let me know.

Mel

Coop, Nice info, thanks. Last weekend I got out to RIRJ and Shackleford bands rock jetty. Vis was around 4ft RIRJ and 3ft SBRJ, all in all good dives though, alot of life if you go really slow. Saw some fish in the coral i'd never seen before.

Visibility is not an issue

just got back, seas were a little rough but still great diving. 4 tanks on the Indra, lots of barracuda and tuna, plentiful marine life even 1 stone fish. ri was nice got caught in the last few min of high tide so we drifted about 300- 400 yds found old bottles and a deep sea fishing reel. if anyboy does the same look for a watch, my brother lost his last sun! excellent vis at ri about 30',,,Indra had 60' vis last wed with botttttom temp to 78Deg, but the vis on the wrech dropped to 30' by last fri. this was excellent diving and only 1 person on our boat got sea sick!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom