Shore diving - is it available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just click a link at the top, find that text in FAQ of theirs.
A link at the top of what? Whose FAQ? About what? If you don't quote the post to which you are replying we don't know what you are talking about.

Well, I submit that a shore dive at Blue Angel is pretty much like a pond dive. The viz is most likely much better, the stingray prison blocks most of the current, and you'd have to go a long way out to be in more than 35' of water.

You know how I feel about the CO issue, right? :D
I know and I even feel bad about including you in my anti-Texas vitriol last night. Can't they just move Austin to a different state? I'm sure California would adopt you.

There is another guy on this thread, however, who does seem rather safety conscious and I was curious how that fits in with solo dive encouragement.

I wonder if there's a way to rig a jetski to continue running in a straight line without a driver, one could tie off a line and drop to 30' and drift against the current.

Interesting! That reads word for word from MY website! I wrote that 9 or 10 years ago! Sure you are not confusing dive shops?
From your website:

"Q: Do you offer shore diving?A: We do not provide tanks for shore dives. We do not have a facility on the waterfront nor are tanks kept in the shop. All of the tanks on the island are filled by a central fill station and delivered to the marina each morning for the boat dives. They will not deliver tanks for shore dives except to shops that are in the resorts on the waterfront. Anywhere that shore diving is available (very limited and not really anything to see) there is a dive shop where you can rent tanks and weights for a nominal fee of $5 to $6
Cozumel was never touted as a great shore diving destination, and this is even more true since Hurricane Wilma in 2005. It is very different than places like Bonaire orCuracao in that regard"

From the Scuba Mau website:

"A: We do not provide tanks for shore dives. We do not have a facility on the waterfront nor are tanks kept in the shop. All of the tanks on the island are filled by a central fill station and delivered to the marina each morning for the boat dives. They will not deliver tanks for shore dives except to shops that are in the resorts on the waterfront. Anywhere that shore diving is available (very limited and not really anything to see) there is a dive shop where you can rent tanks and weights for a nominal fee of $5 to $6
Cozumel was never touted as a great shore diving destination, and this is even more true since Hurricane Wilma in 2005. It is very different than places like Bonaire or Curacao in that regard."

Gee, I don't see any similarity :)

[speaking to Christi] From your website:

"Q: Do you offer shore diving?A: We do not provide tanks for shore dives. We do not have a facility on the waterfront nor are tanks kept in the shop. All of the tanks on the island are filled by a central fill station and delivered to the marina each morning for the boat dives. They will not deliver tanks for shore dives except to shops that are in the resorts on the waterfront. Anywhere that shore diving is available (very limited and not really anything to see) there is a dive shop where you can rent tanks and weights for a nominal fee of $5 to $6
Cozumel was never touted as a great shore diving destination, and this is even more true since Hurricane Wilma in 2005. It is very different than places like Bonaire orCuracao in that regard"

From the Scuba Mau website:

"A: We do not provide tanks for shore dives. We do not have a facility on the waterfront nor are tanks kept in the shop. All of the tanks on the island are filled by a central fill station and delivered to the marina each morning for the boat dives. They will not deliver tanks for shore dives except to shops that are in the resorts on the waterfront. Anywhere that shore diving is available (very limited and not really anything to see) there is a dive shop where you can rent tanks and weights for a nominal fee of $5 to $6
Cozumel was never touted as a great shore diving destination, and this is even more true since Hurricane Wilma in 2005. It is very different than places like Bonaire or Curacao in that regard."

Gee, I don't see any similarity :)

Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery? :D

Well, I hate to sound like this is the solution to ​​everything​​​​, but dive with Aldora and stay at Villa Aldora. They keep a variety of tanks on hand for shore diving, both air and nitrox. You dive the ironshore, a sort of "mini-wall" along the shore. Lots of juveniles, glassy sweepers, yellow stingrays, burr fish, little morays, and the occasional octopus or little spotted or golden tail moray. I even found a mantis shrimp once. It's a nice dive at safety stop depths. Just let Brent know you're going so they know who's in the water to expect back. You need a surface marker. Use your own SMB or safety sausage, or they have some there. The boat picks you up and drops you off at the Villa, so there's no gear schlepping. Oh, by the way, no extra charge.

Well, I hate to sound like this is the solution to ​​everything​​​​, but dive with Aldora and stay at Villa Aldora. They keep a variety of tanks on hand for shore diving, both air and nitrox. You dive the ironshore, a sort of "mini-wall" along the shore. Lots of juveniles, glassy sweepers, yellow stingrays, burr fish, little morays, and the occasional octopus or little spotted or golden tail moray. I even found a mantis shrimp once. It's a nice dive at safety stop depths. Just let Brent know you're going so they know who's in the water to expect back. You need a surface marker. Use your own SMB or safety sausage, or they have some there. The boat picks you up and drops you off at the Villa, so there's no gear schlepping. Oh, by the way, no extra charge.
You are absolutely correct. It is not the solution to everything. :D

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 09:36 PM ----------

I know and I even feel bad about including you in my anti-Texas vitriol last night.
That's a relief. You know how sensitive I am. :D

Maybe I am having a super blonde moment - but I don't see an FAQ section on Mau's website - unless there is a secret website I don't know about - which is why I wonder if he is confusing shops!

Maybe I am having a super blonde moment - but I don't see an FAQ section on Mau's website - unless there is a secret website I don't know about - which is why I wonder if he is confusing shops!
The FAQ show up after a Search for shore then another link. :D Go to http://scubamau.com/faq/ and use CTRL+F to search shore diving. :wink:

Pershaps... I was told "Hi use Mau at scubamau.com and he will let you do shore dives for free."
So, I went to the website and found FAQ here: FAQ - Scuba Mau Cozumel

I did not offer an opinion on where it was safe or not, but it's not particularly risky alone in daytime at least.
Pershaps... I was told "Hi use Mau at scubamau.com and he will let you do shore dives for free."
So, I went to the website and found FAQ here: FAQ - Scuba Mau Cozumel
Some of the Ops will furnish free shore dive tanks if you are diving wit them. Most Ops with shops on docks will furnish tanks & weights for a small charge. Your best possibilities seem to be between Scuba Club (which won't) and Villa Blanca, with some possibilities as far as Casa del Mar.

Closer to where you are staying, you have the park and playa I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom