Shore diving - is it available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I did a little research and I still cannot find an answer to shore diving in Cozumel.

While I am looking to do scuba with normal dives, I want to do some shallow dives for cheap. Can it easily be done? :confused:

I want to get a tank, some weights and dive in 20 feet or so. Kind of snorkeling but on one breath. :)

From reading the reviews and forums, it seems it is very hard to find a place that would supply the tanks without getting a trip with them.

I know that the shore dive at Hotel Cozumel is around 20'. I have done several from there. I am pretty sure you can rent tanks and weights there but probably can't take them off the property. Don't know about other places for sure but others will be along to help out I am sure.

Depending where you're staying, shore diving can be readily available.

Scuba Club Cozumel and Blue Angel have some entertaining 20 ft dives right in front of the resorts. And there's been a couple threads recently on some "public access" shore diving as well.

Shore diving is readily available off of many docks with local ops glad to rent tanks & weights. Not great shore diving, but you can mess around, see some coral heads, fish, shrimp, etc.

It'd help to know where you will be staying and whom you will boat dive...?

Staying at the sabor, they got dive palancar there, their site says you can playing around with weights, buoyancy in the shallow end, but from reading around, it seems like no one had it done, and I read a few cases where they would refuse renting tanks if it is not for their boat excursions.

It is a bit cold here in TX to dive as yet (for me), I got some new gear which I need kind of test out and altogether get my bearing again under the water before jumping off a perfectly good boat.

Ok, I think the Sabor is too far south for shore diving. Cheap & convenient shore diving is easy from around Hotel Cozumel south to near the cruise pier on the south side of San Miguel, but you will be quite a distance from there. You could take cabs each way, but it might cost you more than a 2 tank boat trip.

Chankanaab park & Playa Corona are closer to your resort, about 3.5 Km/2 miles, but still in the park so you will need to hire a DM to dive with you at either. Sabor beach may well have a roped off swimming area, and if you dive with the house Op then they should be willing to let you have tanks & weights for free, but nothing to see - nothing! I think you are probably out of luck with your resort choice.

Now, if you are planning on renting a car anyway, or will have others who can share cab & possible DM expenses, you might get more out of it.

Oh, I see, you posted elsewhere that you will be at Sabor for 15 days. Are you traveling alone? We probably need to discuss rental cars. I'd be bored to tears holed up at the resort in a week easily.

Last edited:
I am thinking of renting a car for a week, at least, will give me a chance to see some variety, I'll be cooped up for 15 days in there (poor me).

PS: Sabor is like 10 mins away from downtown by car, I am thinking taxi should not be more than $10-$12 bucks one way. I think the cheapest scuba excursion is like $60 (in not buying in bulk).

Everyone is different. I like staying at Hotel Cozumel All Inclusive for a week, but with some away outings. Two weeks of any one place would be too much for me. If this is your first time in Coz, yeah - you should rent a car and see some of the island. Isis seems to be the most favorite, but there are other possibilities. Be sure to buy all the insurance you can, don't drink alcohol at all, drive very carefully, and keep in mind that you will not leave the island if there is an unpaid problem. Some streets in town always have the right away even without signs, so ask about that.

For a two week trip, I would have planned on flying into Coz, out of Cancun, and spent the last few days on the mainland exploring. You still can, but I guess you are booked at the Sabor for the entire period. I have left almost all of my stuff in a room on the island while I overnighted on the mainland at times.

I don't know what Dive Palancar charges for boat dives, maybe $40 a tank plus DM tips? By the time you take a cab to Chankanaab park or Playa Corona, pay for shore diving & private DM, and back - it'll be more than that.

This is not my first time. I have been on the mainland for 8 days before, seen most of things there, good thing cheap buses go everywhere. Cozumel itself I don't know well, was only in downtown area.

I want to dive some, snorkel some, swim some. Chill out, go places, see stuff. I am kind of near a nervous break down with all the deadlines for the past 2 years. Need time to miss work.

If it were me, I would book my diving with Scuba Mau, and let him keep the gear. When you want to shore dive just drive up to the shop and do it there. You might even find your gear all set up and ready to go if you let them know you're coming. Sabor is a great resort, but it's not very diver friendly. Dragging your gear from the boat to the room, then to the parking lot, back to the room, then back to the boat is something I would try to avoid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom