Shore diving in doubles....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread made me think about the times in the 70's when I'd get all dressed and throw the doubles with the pony bottle on like it was a single and walk 1/4 mile across sand dunes to get in the water...:wink: Not a chance today....:no: I"ll make a few trips carrying the gear down to the access point and get dressed there... Then do the same after the dive... Maybe making a few extra smaller return trips to the van....:coolingoff: Then it's naptime for me and my scuba girl in the campervan...:wink::blinking::banana: I'm not that OLD..... YET....

Jim

I've done some shore diving in doubles at Cape Anne in Massachusetts and don't plan to do it again. Especially if the water is really cold and I'm wearing a lot of warm clothes under my drysuit.

I am going to Bonaire in a couple of weeks. This time I will be wearing just a swim suit and rash guard, and will try independent doubles, making two carries down to the water.

OP - i think whether or not its practical to dive doubles of the beach really just depends what your doing and what your goals are. I live in south florida and i recently put together some Al 63's for Solo beach diving. i pretty much use them for the redundancy. Down here in south FL you really dont go deeper then 40 ft max from shore unless u go to an extreme or have a scooter etc. going diving with bigger doubles like 130's, 112's etc is some what impractical. you would have way to much gas. plus the weight.

IDK how its like where your at or what exactly it is your trying to accomplish. but long story short, shore diving of the beach with doubles if very doable but you should consider if you really need them because they can be a little bit more work then there worth.

Get one of these Husky X Workbench tables, they work great for getting in and out of a set of doubles.

Aside from that, take it easy and don't rush...

You can pick one up at Home Depot - ask for saw horse tables. The employees never know where they are displayed, so be persistent till you find them.

Have done many shore dives in doubles from Seattle to Catalina and even in So Fla. You really want to be careful in the surf to not become unbalanced or flip over. Turn sideways to avoid taking the brunt of a wave, help steady your buddy when removing fins, etc. Best to stick to calm days. If the water is a long walk from the car, carry the x table down near the water first and then bring down the tanks before suiting up. Watch the weather & swell forecast so waves do not build while you are enjoying a long dive.

Shore diving I use my steel 50's as IDs. The 72's and 90's IDs I use for boat diving. The 72's got heavier as the years went by but the 50's are just right.......for now. I use the back of my Outback station wagon to don the doubles. Now that I own an inflatable I'll be kissing shore diving good-bye!

I've done double AL80's for calm entries with close access. Wouldn't do it in CA with the surf.

If you can stage a bottle in the water, I'd do a single and a stage before I did doubles.

Also exercise helps a lot. Core strength plus ankle/leg stability is key. Spend some time throwing a medicine ball against a wall while standing one-legged on a bosu ball or wobble board.

I'm very pickey about where and when I shore dive with my old double 72's. Since I dive wet, it is near the limit of my ability to withstand cold while diving up here in NorCal. It works well when the entry is easy and I'm only going to do one dive.

Anytime I think I'm as young as I feel, I just wear the doubles and let them give me a reality check.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom