Shore Diving in Central and South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nharring

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello fellow divers ! I have been away from ScubaBoard for a couple of years and have moved from Northern California to Southwest Virginia. I need some advice.

I am looking for some recommendations on easy shore dives along the Central to Southern Florida. Maybe from the Cape down to Key Largo on the East Coast or Clearwater down to Sanibel on the West Coast. I will be traveling the last weekend of April 2017.

I have a friend and fellow firefighter (ok ... he is my Chief) who is 71 years old. He hasn't been in the water for about two years but he wants to get a few shallow water tropical dives within driving distance. Most of his diving experience has been search and recovery dives in zero viz. He has also done Devils Den and Rainbow River.

We are trying to do this on the cheap. I'm retired military so I can get us discounts on hotels and stay at some military guest houses along the way. I am planning one boat dive. I was thinking to go out of Key Largo just to get to the outer reef. What about Pennenkamp State Park ? Any shore diving there ?

I took my friend, the Chief, to a local indoor pool to knock the rust off. We are going back to the pool a few more times in the next few weeks.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea has a reef just off the beach south of the pier, another one past the end of the pier, and a nice ledge @ the mooring balls, all accessible from the beach . Nice little town with inexpensive short-term apartments and motel rooms with kitchenettes.

well, i'd recommend the #1 shore dive site in the US. That is Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach, Fl (Palm Beach). Easy shore dive that is just spectacular. It blows away any other shore dive.

The shop located right at the bridge (Blue Heron Bridge Scuba) gives military and first responder discounts. Many of us are one or the other.
PM me and i'll help ya out.

BHB is on the way to Lauderdale-by-the-sea.

Thanks Guys ! I completely forgot about Blue Heron Bridge. That will be a great spot for this road trip.

@sheeper I'll PM you. Thanks for the help.

@ nharring:
I love it anytime someone flat out admits to try to do something on the cheap. Especially since that at times seems rather hard in scuba. Would love to hear back from you after the trip. About the diving and about what you ended up thinking were good deals (just a perception that your idea of cheap is closer to mine, which is about a mile removed from e.g. those thinking that diving for less than $200 a day is a great deal).

Horses for courses of course. This is shore diving and that of course should come in athe a lot less. I am curious what in the end you figure your expenses added up on a dive day and how you and your chief liked the dives you ended up choosing, and which "deals" you really liked... (especially if they do not require ex military discounts).

P.S.: Never been there (yet), but plan being in the water 60% or so of your planned dive (time) length prior to slack high tide at BHB.

Here is the tide table for the year at BHB. 2017 Blue Heron Bridge Tide Tables Pura Vida Divers : Discover South Florida SCUBA Diving You should get in 30 minutes prior to HIGH tide and plan on getting out 30 minutes after high tide. If you are diving on a weekend get to the park early so that you can secure a parking spot.

The park is open for beach activities from sunrise to sunset. From a look at the tide table for the last week of April you are going to have to do an early dive at the start of the week. High tide gets later as the week goes on.

There really is no shore diving in the Keys although I think some people dive the bridges. My favorite shore is Lauderdale by the Sea. It has been over 10 years since I have dove there but at that time it had some reef structure and lots of fish/critters. I have seen everything from turtles to shark on the reef. Others I have done include Delray Wreck and Deerfield beach. Again been a long time ago so I do not know how they are now.

I am not the hugest fan of BHB. The macro photography is great and the juvenile critters are cool but I just am not that interested in it for diving as it gets boring for me quickly. When the boats used to run out of Phil Foster park, we used to never think about diving there...

On the west coast you may look at the Venice area for shark tooth diving. I have not done it from the shore but I know it can be done.

If you would like some shore diving without driving too far south, check out Ft. Pierce. You can park at a public access lot near the Navy UDT-SEAL Museum, and walk your gear onto the beach. You'll see some reef structure and a few big fish out there, decent cheap day trip though admittedly not as glorious as dive sites further south.

If you would like some shore diving without driving too far south, check out Ft. Pierce. You can park at a public access lot near the Navy UDT-SEAL Museum, and walk your gear onto the beach. You'll see some reef structure and a few big fish out there, decent cheap day trip though admittedly not as glorious as dive sites further south.

now you're talking right down the street from me! I'm just 15 minutes due north. That area is Pepper Park and is a well known local shore dive. It's an easy dive if conditions are good. If it's windy you can expect 1-2 feet of viz :)
There are 4 reef lines the first 2 are an easy short swim out (50-100 yards out). 3rd reef is a bit further while the 4th reef is likely too far a swim for most.
Some great structure; the reef is ancient coral and rock. Often see turtles and nurse sharks and lots of fish. We often hunt in the area. It's also good lobstering grounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom