Shore Diving - Ft. Lauderdale Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am currently setting up a series of dives in the Ft. Lauderdale area, for next July. We are interested in shore diving poissibilities - as long as they are worth while. Also, what is the driving time from FLL to Key Largo? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The drive takes about an hour and a half... but allow two, in case you hit traffic. Take 595 to the turnpike... follow the signs to Homestead/Florida City/Key West (not to Miami). Bring three dollars worth of quarters with you for the tolls.

Commercial Pier, at Lauderdale By The Sea (just north of Fort Lauderdale) is a good spot for a beach dive. Three reefs run parallel to the beach there, at various distances from shore. I hope this helps.

For diving in Key Largo, check out our website at www.bluewaterdiver.net

Stay at least 300 yards from the pier and head straight out. The reef starts before the pier ends. It's a nice dive - great pay off for minimal effort. Be sure to take a float with you.

If you want to do some boat diving while you are there, it is not necessary to go to the Keys. There is great boat diving much closer to Fort Lauderdale. For AOW divers there is Tenneco Towers, an abandoned structure at about 110 feet. It is teeming with life. There are several nice wrecks and reefs. You might try some drift diving a little bit to the north at West Palm Beach.

I have nothing against the Keys. I dive there several times a year. But if you want to get the most out of your limited vacation time, save yourself the extra driving. There is enought to see and do and dive in the Keys to devote an entire trip to them.

Just came back from Dania Beach after diving Key Largo area... Saw a lot of fish from the pier but didn't dive as it was the last day there.

The Anglin Pier site at Commercial Blvd. listed above is a pretty good shore dive in Ft. Lauderdale. Two of the three reefs are reachable from shore, starting at 50 yards out. For the best sights stay south of the pier. Many classes use the north side, more sand than anything else. It's very crowded here on the weekends.

Further north at Deerfield Beach there's two sites. The first is just south of the pier, though the lifeguards make you walk down to the rocks at the south end of the beach so they can't see you enter the water. If they can't see you, they aren't responsible. :) The first reef is about 90 yards out, the second reef about 120 yards. There's lots of life at this site, and small ledges.

About a mile south of this is the Deerfield Beach Embassy Suites. Again you have to enter at the rock line near the condos to keep the lifeguards happy. It's a continuation of the same reefs as above - just a bit less crowded and with less parking.

Marc :jester:

Thanks for all of the excellent info. We'll be doing weekday diving so the crowds shouldn't be too much of a problem. Anyone else who can offer advice - please do! I'll post a message prior to our trip down so that anyone who wants to join us will be more than welcome. :)

Let me know when you're coming and perhaps we can hook up for a dive. It'll only cost you a six pack of Upper Canada Lager. :wink:

Marc :jester:

Beer comes in 6 packs? I thought a 2-4 was the industry standard :D

But seriously - I'll keep you posted. It will likely be July 7-9 for the diving portion of our trip. I'll be in FLL for a convention and we're trying to set up a continent wide get together under water. So far, Ontario and Ohio are on board! thanks again for the info. By the way - Steamwhistle Brewery makes some really good stuff - loacted in the old roundhouse right near Skydome!

Tennaco Towers is a MUST. There are also millions of wrecks right out of Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale - boat dive)... Last time I dove on the Jay Scutti (tug boat) I saw a 10 foot bull shark, large turtle that hung for the whole dive, lots of fish, eel, and bugs...

bigz once bubbled...
Beer comes in 6 packs? I thought a 2-4 was the industry standard :D

It is, but I figured 4 sixes would be easier to pack. :wink:

Marc the expat Canuk soaking up rays in Florida :jester:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom