Shore Diving at Cobalt Coast In July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamike16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

GF and I will be in GC the last week of July and were wondering if shore diving would be possible off of the Cobalt Coast? I heard in April / May its Choppy and sometimes you can't go diving, but is this going to be a problem in late July? Also what type of water temp should we expect?

Thanks again,
M:D

I've been to Cobalt Coast in July and it's diveable from shore much of the time, and if not, the reef at Lighthouse Point is not far and is more sheltered. Great shore diving at both sites. In July the water is warm, (82-3) Shortie weather.

Have a great time,

Doctorfish

In summer I never wear a wetsuit in Cayman. All depends how you handle cold. In winter I have shortie but as soon as it hits 82 or so (like now ...) its swimsuit & t-shirt! :)

I love diving at Cobalt. Great place. I have seen some gigantic lobsters there at 80+ ft.

Have fun.

M.

We are planning a group trip to Cobalt Coast in June, and hope to make several shore dives.
I plan to post a trip report after visit and will update on conditions.

Thank you all for replying back. I and GF look forward to diving there in July. I am with you RoombaGuy, if it gets over 80F we just wear a swimsuit and can dive 4 dives a day and not get cold. Out here in CA, well thats another story...Thank you again :)

Hi Mike,

I've been to Grand Cayman 8 times since 1997, at all times of year, with nearly 150 dives. Summer conditions are generally calmest, least windy, warmest. Shore diving at Cobalt Coast and their Lighthouse Point site should be fine and these are both great dives. Divetech runs a scooter dive between Cobalt Coast and Lighthouse Point that is really fantastic. Covers a fair amount of reef that is rarely dived. Best of all, getting out to the North Wall is also most reliable this time of year, my favorite.

A side benefit of summer on Grand Cayman is that it is low season, less people to deal with, easier to get into restaurants, less divers on the boats... enjoy. Do avoid Georgetown when all the ships are in, it's a zoo.

Good diving, Craig

I am excited to go there, just counting down the weeks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom