November (Thanksgiving Week) in Caymen Island: Cobalt Coast at GC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingChipmunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello fellow divers,

We are planning a dive trip in Thanksgiving week (Nov 19-26, 2022) and Caymen Islands is on the top of our list. We are intermediate divers and have enjoyed diving at Socoro + Cabo Pulmo and Cozumel in the last two years during Thanksgiving week. We are hoping to find another good November diving destination this year, with an easy flight from US East Coast.

After doing some research on the SB, Grand Caymen seems to be a good fit, and we found avaialbility (and good review) at Colbalt Coast Dive Resort.
This will be our first time diving at Caymen Islands. Is late November a good time to dive at GC? Any experience and wisdom to share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sue

Hi @DivingChipmunk

I have been to Grand Cayman many times, but not very recently. I have been to Cobalt Coast twice, before it was part of Clearly Cayman, when Divetech was still the operator. I would be willing to bet that it is still a very good resort, and that Reef Divers is a good operator, they always have been for me on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac.

November appears to be one of the windier months, may limit access to the north wall and/or shore diving from the resort. The shore diving is one advantage to a package at Cobalt Coast. Of course, the resort is also not far from other shore diving sites at Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Point that may still be open. There are many sources of weather stats, here is one I have found to be reliable Windfinder.com - Wind and weather statistic Georgetown Owen Roberts International Airport

Most of Grand Cayman is affected by Stoney Coral Tissue Loss Disease. I don't know how severely dive sites are affected or whether there are still site closures. You might want to inquire about these issues.

I have great memories of my visits to Grand Cayman. When I last visited in 2018 on the Cayman Aggressor V, the boat was not able to visit the best sites in the west or on the north wall, however, Babylon was still fantastic :)

Best of luck for your fall trip

I've been on GC several times at end of November and the weather has usually been good. mostly sunny, variable winds.

Cobalt/ Reef Divers runs a good operation and if you can't dive the North Wall, their boats will be on the sheltered west side of the island ( and they will bus you over ).
If the winds are light ( 50/50 ) the bonus will be shore diving off the hotel dock.

I would consider Cayman Brac and Little Cayman as well. Travel from Grand is easy and IMO, the diving is better. The resorts are more up to date as well.

this is the pool at Brac Reef resort, doesn't get any better.

IMG_3439.jpg

CC seems to be popular and gets good reviews. I have been to GC many times but never stayed at CC. Been there a couple times though and was a bit underwhelmed. Not sure why, maybe the location or the neighborhoods or the drive. Take a look on Google Earth. If the weather comes from the north you may be doing a bit of driving for your diving.

Thanks all for the response. We considered Caymen Brac and Little Caymen as well but found no availability for the Thanksgiving week in these two resorts.

Back
Top Bottom