Shore dives in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maremd50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Cozumel in mid-May and will be staying at the Casa del Mar. Is there any shore diving nearby? Any help you can give is appreciated.

Yep, right in front of your hotel - and it's free if you're diving with the hotel op. It's also kinda boring. As much as you're spending to be there, spend a little more to do it right on every dive - from a boat, unless you do a day of Cenote dives on the peninsula. :wink:

Also ask for 100 CF tanks if you blow thru air.

I'm not in total agreement with Don about it being boring. Over the last couple of years the reef there is getting better. While the diving is not in the seem league as going out on a boat if you want to add an extra dive or 2 it isn't bad.

I got some pretty good pictures diving out in front of Scuba Club both times we were there, especially at night. You have to keep your expectations in check, go slow, and take a hard look into the rubble or coral heads to see a lot of the good stuff. But it is there.

I probably wouldn't pay for more than a tank or so. But if it's included, we usually do a tank before sundown on arrival day to check gear (it hibernates all winter, like us, and usually it's our first dive of the year). Then two more night dives the rest of the week and maybe another during the afternoon if we are talked into it.

I think of these as bonus dives, not to be compared to the fantastic boat diving, but in contrast to our cold water diving near home. I don't take for granted any chance to dive in warm water with colorful fish and blue water!

That is a real nice way to sum it up.
I use that area as tune up dives for my friends when they come down and have not been diving for awhile.
I always enjoy the dive and see nice stuff but looking is the key. Take your time and enjoy being in the water.
I did see and eagle ray at Casa del Mar so that should count for something.
I ask at the dive shop where the sea horses are. I have heard you can find them in that area.
Personally I think when I have been there they are in their corral or getting new shoes because I can't find them.

I didn't take my camera on the extra dives in front of Casa del Mar and missed a shot of a coral banded shrimp and a moray working in symbiosis. The shrimp was perched on an old tire and when a diver stuck his hand out to see if he'd clean it, out comes the eel. I guess the usual drill is that the shrimp gets the leftovers from the fish the eel snaps.

I've never seen a seahorse in Coz. I'm sure they're in the grass but I never find them. Have found a few pipefish by watching the twigs for odd movement...

2-Dive-71 (Large).JPG 2-Dive-72 (Large).JPG

From last week​

I've never seen a seahorse in Coz. I'm sure they're in the grass but I never find them.
It's too bad you didn't do any shore dives out in front of Blue Angel - We saw a couple of them there over several dives.

Take a look at the rest of my uploaded photos here - all but the last two of the U/W shots were taken this past Jan on shore dives right out in front of Blue Angel.

Don, on your last trip you did not do ONE shore dive staying at Caribe Blue/Blue Angle How could you possibly judge! :D

Granted, the shore diving there is not as good as boat diving. However it beats the heck out of ALL diving where I live, and there are a lot of cool critters to see on that 20~30ft dive! IMO it is worth doing at least once.. if not daily! :D

I saw three seahorses when last in Coz, two on Paradise Reef, and I have only been there one time!

Last November I did a shore dive from Casa del Mar to Blue Angel as my last dive of the trip and I wish I had done it sooner. While definitely not up to par with boat diving, it's fun to do if you like being in the water looking at little things. The cab ride is $3 including tip and the tanks are free (we stayed at Blue Angel). Just watch for the boats cruising 10 ft above your head as they sometimes get a little too close to shore.

I didn't take my camera on the extra dives in front of Casa del Mar and missed a shot of a coral banded shrimp and a moray working in symbiosis. The shrimp was perched on an old tire and when a diver stuck his hand out to see if he'd clean it, out comes the eel. I guess the usual drill is that the shrimp gets the leftovers from the fish the eel snaps.

I've never seen a seahorse in Coz. I'm sure they're in the grass but I never find them. Have found a few pipefish by watching the twigs for odd movement...

Great story about the symbiosis. Here is a banded coral shrimp at night in front of SCC, and an octopus on the same dive.

And seahorses - had the DM find them a couple times on boat dives. I've never seen them near shore.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 40
  • Cozumel 2007 Unedited 369.jpg
    Cozumel 2007 Unedited 369.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom