Shore dive with new diver: Do you mind short and shallow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several posters stated or implied they wouldn't sacrifice a boat dive, which suggests cost is part of each person's equation, whether it be monetary or in pre-dive time. So for everyone who's already answered this thread, how far they're commuting might be a hidden assumption. I started this thread to try and gather opinions as to how far people are willing to travel to go diving locally. Although it asks a more general question, it might provide some context for how much time and effort people are willing to give in helping newbies.

Me, with a new diver I didn't know previously, in general I'd be somewhat open to an easy shore dive with them (I suppose depending on their attitude towards safety and diving), but I'd be much less open-minded at the end of a couple of hours in the car than after 30 minutes. On the other hand, the longer the trip, the more likely it is that I've also already arranged a dive buddy.

You know I'm a pretty new diver, but I just cant imagine not wanting to go diving with anyone that seems "safe" and wants to go. I don't think I will ever care if the dive is 10' or 100', whats it difference, your diving? That is just me, but I'll say in advance, thanks to all the folks that take the time to make us enjoy what we do, and do it safely. Because in the end, its those people that allow us to continue this sport in a manner that doesn't cause "bad-press" so to speak. Other wise some of us noobs would be out there getting into all kinds of trouble, either in terms of health or legal issues. I definitely want to be able to do the same and take that time too, even when I have that 500 or 1000 dives under my weight belt. Thanks.:coffee:

I remember when I was a noob... I got on a boat with someone who had 80 dives more than I did... but that diver was more of a noob than I was .... and never progressed in skill due to lack of effort and motivation. That is the kind of diver I don't want to waste my precious dive time/opportunities on!

Well, I just came back from an amazing dive trip a few weeks back.

One of the outing was to an island sanctioned as a marine park, with very limited daily snorkeling and diving permits per day. I paid dearly for the three dives but it was very well worth it (being a very last minute decision). In fact my most expensive dive trip ever in terms of cost per dive, this being a day trip by boat (roughly about 60 USD per dive versus the typical 25-30 USD).

There were a few people on the boat, the group divided into two. One - there was me (and OW diver) with I think a relatively new certified vacation diver. The other group consisted of an advanced, two rescue(s), and a couple of SCUBA instructors. Both headed by a DM. You can see where this division was heading.

Our dives were around 60 - 68 ft, wall dives with mild current that made our first as a drift. I was buddied with the newly certified guy of course, while trailing the DM. Obviously this guy has a few issues with buoyancy and certainly was concerned with his air consumption. Nearing the end of the dive when the tanks got lighter, he had problems in being neutral - bobbling up and down before later on being unable to get down (yes, that image of him flapping on the surface still stuck on my mind - reminded me of my first few dives). Needless to say, he was the first to end the dive and went back to the boat.

However, I was a bit surprised that the DM didn't abort the dive when one of us was unable to continue on. Instead, he allowed the guy to surfaced and we went back to resume our dive. This was my first dive when a diver was allowed to resurface on his own - and he did this on every one of our three dive trips. I was thinking that since this is a very, very expensive and rare opportunity to dive the place - the DM might be thinking that it is unfortunate that somebody is missing on something just because of the other. Plus, the guy despite being new - might have been a certified diver with a few dives or some period of inactivity. I heard of another DM/instructor talking to him doing some Peak Performance Buoyancy session the day before (which unfortunately didn't reflect it at all!!!).

Overall the DM was helpful, attentive and adhered to safety procedures, except I guess allowing the guy to went back on his own. I know that as certified divers, we cannot expect the DM to be our guardian angel underwater (me for one - see them as tour guides). Plus, there are issues such as boat diving and resurfacing in area of boat traffic (never mind if they were mild).

Well, my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom