Shore dive with new diver: Do you mind short and shallow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In most cases and I stress MOST cases I prefer diving with new divers. Now my last couple dives had some newer divers booting people out of the way to get some photos.

The reason for prefering new divers is that I dont hear the Ive been there done that as much as I do from more seasoned divers. Also I enjoy the faces of divers who just thought that the last dive was the best dive ever.

So yes if I am with a diver who wants short and sweet and the water is not difficult to exit Ill just wait in the water :)

How do you define a "new diver"?

If you're 6 foot one, 205 lbs. how long should an 80 cu. tank last at 40 feet?

For noobie diver:

For intermediate diver:

For advanced diver:

For noobie diver:

For intermediate diver:

For advanced diver:

Noobie is 20 or lessand in some cases more but over a period of years. Say 50 dives in 10 years.

Intermediate is more then 20 and a frequent diver.

Advanced is purely by diving and observing

Like others here.. it depends. I enjoy seeing the awe and joy in the eyes of people who do not get to see what we do on a regular basis. It makes it fresh for me too and I have a blast!

As long as it is clear in advance what the expectations are so I have the option of saying yes or no..I am most likely to say yes. If someone just rocks up, assumes they can join in and impose.. I am likely to say no. I hate being used or taken for granted and this has happened too many times.

On holidays, boat dives or OMG I had a rough week and I need to dive to relax kinds of dives I would rather not. We have a group of experienced friends we buddy with. We all have busy lives and responsibilities and use our diving as our major relaxation. Some times we just don't want to have to "babysit" which I think is fair too!

It got me to wondering . . . for those of you who are no longer "new divers", would you mind doing a shorter and shallower dive than usual, to accomodate a new diver?

I had one of my best dives last year with a new diver. We made a shore dive through 1ft surf into 15-20ft viz, with a max depth of 30ft. We were down for 20min, took a 5min SI and down for another 20min. It was a blast!

YouTube - Deer Creek Dive Pix 11-25-09.wmv

Depending on the dive location, I still consider myself a newbie. Yes, I have racked up a lot of lake, quarry, and warm Caribbean dives, but it doesn't make me an experienced diver in Pueget Sound. There is no way I would willingly take a brand new diver to a site I am not familiar with. It's more of a confidence thing for me: I don't think I'm experienced enough to deal with a brand new diver's potential problems underwater (panic, OOA, etc) especially in challenging locations. I still prefer to dive with buddies who are WAY more experienced and have their act together, though I don't mind at all diving with a less experienced diver at my local quarry or lake. That is good practice for both of us.

For noobie diver:

For intermediate diver:

For advanced diver:

you made me get my log book out......

I'm 5'10 & 225lbs & during my OW check out dive # 4 max depth 43fsw, total time 48 min & came out with 700psi.

Last Dec in Jamaica (starting with 2800psi) one of the dives was 44fsw, total time 42 min & I surfaced with 1200psi.

I'll let you know when I become intermediate / advanced! (at under 100 dives I still consider myself a noob)

This thread has got me thinking... went back to check my stats.... of all my dives including OW course (446 dives) I have only done 15 dives that were less than 30 minutes :hm: I guess my idea of short is different than some:idk:

I certainly agree.. that noobie is relative to dive experience in the environment/conditions you are diving! Someone with 500 dives may be more of a noobie than someone with 50 dives in certain situations. Certification means nothing.. skill in the water is everything. I have seen skillful divers with no certificates and dangerous divers with walls platered in certificates.. virtually all the dives done on courses!:shakehead:

For me, it really doesn't matter whether I dive with new divers or old experienced divers, because as long as someone is honest with themselves and with me, I can get a lot of enjoyment either way.

BUT, what I really have trouble with is people who say they are experienced and capable, and once in the water it turns out they aren't. Their failure to be honest about their skills and experience can put all of us in a bad spot.

Any diver that wants to dive with me, knows his or her limits, and expresses those, lets go!

I am very comfortable in the water and I have a couple hundred dives under my belt but I still have ALOT to learn as I move toward tech diving. If I am not able to find tech divers willing to put up with a noob to tech, I don't imagine I will be successful.

Who am I to refuse to help a diver whos only sin is inexperience? We were ALL there once.

So to answer the OP, yes I am willing to go short and shallow for the sake of a noobie.

Back
Top Bottom