Shore Dive recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nursediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Staying at the Blue Angel in May. I have read shore dive recommendations, but they seem old and I wonder if things have changed since the hurricane a few years ago. Any recommendations?

Yeah, good and bad. H.Wilma tore out all of the sea grass in the shallows there that used to attract a lot of juvies, but you can still see a lot of life around the coral heads - and the sting ray pen attracts other rays. Additional good news is that BA had laid down a number of sand bags making it easier to enter and exit at their dive shop.

You will not be in the park so wear gloves in case you get pushed into the pen as it does grow fire coral and other owies. You won't need a DM but a good buddy is always suggested even on a shallow dive. Carry enough weight to sit and watch a coral head until hiders come out.

Check the current by the buoys as the eddies vary. Either swim into the current to half tank, then return - or plan an exit to walk back. I have exited onto the beach on the other side of the pen and a snorkel company has laid some sand bags out from the stairs. I have missed them too :eek: and crawled out over the iron stone - not suggested...!!

oops - forgot to sign off from NACD - will repost.

Last edited:
Make sure you do a few night dives from BA.

Nice and easy well set up for shore diving. Your locker, rinse tank, and shower just a few feet from shore.

Have fun

Paradise Shallows. Go south on the main road. Pass the El Cid. About a mile south of the gas station are green signs to a marina. Turn right and follow the road to the marina. Inside the marina, you will take a hard right turn. Travel a couple of hundred yards and veer to the left when possible. You will probably see some other cars, divers and families. We made several beach dives here last summer. The reef is 50 yards or so out.

Playa Corona Bar and Grill has a small dive shop(not sure what they rent) They charge $5 for a beach dive if you do not use them. To get there, go south on the main road pass the marina and take a right when the road splits/forks. Travel a couple of miles. Made a couple of dives here in February. Not bad.

Both dives are nice but not close to what you will see on a boat dive. If you look you will find a lot though.

oops - forgot to sign off from NACD - will repost.
I've seen that happen with some members authorized to have multiple accounts. You can avoid it by opening one name on one browser, another on another. I like Chrome and Firefox, but IE is an option.

Since you rarely use that name & SB account, then use it only on a browser that you never open otherwise. :wink:

Paradise Shallows. Go south on the main road. Pass the El Cid. About a mile south of the gas station are green signs to a marina. Turn right and follow the road to the marina. Inside the marina, you will take a hard right turn. Travel a couple of hundred yards and veer to the left when possible. You will probably see some other cars, divers and families. We made several beach dives here last summer. The reef is 50 yards or so out.
Isn't that where the new marina is going in?

I've seen that happen with some members authorized to have multiple accounts. You can avoid it by opening one name on one browser, another on another. I like Chrome and Firefox, but IE is an option.

Since you rarely use that name & SB account, then use it only on a browser that you never open otherwise. :wink:

Thanks Don.

Isn't that where the new marina is going in?

I have heard about a new marina in the area but am not sure of the exact location. May be a shame because there is a nice cave system there which could be destroyed/damaged if it happens.

Staying at the Blue Angel in May. I have read shore dive recommendations, but they seem old and I wonder if things have changed since the hurricane a few years ago. Any recommendations?
Don's post has good information.
When I was there in November, I usually did shore dives in the afternoons or early evening. Entry & exit were not a problem. There is a lot of activity heading into the evening with the eels coming out. Plenty of critters to observe as you make your way around the pen. There are a several small coral heads past the pen heading toward Villablanca and if you hover for a while you will see quite a few things. I went with a couple of photographers one afternoon and they got some really nice shots. I will say that most of the sea fans are damaged. It's not very deep in this area, maybe 18-23', so you'll get a long BT. I got a little cold after 80 minutes, but I don't wear a wetsuit on shore dives. (It's a joy not to wear one as here in California, I use a 7mm+hood+gloves.)
There is a current and the it's strength varies a bit from day to day, but never a real problem, just swim into the current and then just drift on back.
what is nice is after you exit, there is a nice outdoor shower, rinse tank, small lockers to hold your towels, etc.. Tanks & weights are free if your staying at the BA.
I wonder how it compares to Paradise shallows.

Back
Top Bottom