Shore Dive Morehead City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to Moorhead City at the end of May. I have everything planned for the boat dives, however, I have some slack time and would like to try to get in a shore dive at Radio jetty. From my understanding, it is a good walk from your car to the beach??? How long and is there a better way? I called Discovery Dive Center and they do not plan to take the boat out there at that point. Also, trying to figure out about the diving at slack tide. What the hell is this and when can I go diving. I think high tide is at 6:30 am and 6:30 pm, or somewhere around there. I have also been told that we have to carry a float. If anyone can give me a good heads up on what I am doing I would love you forever :wink:

Your understanding is correct. Although things are always changing. I will tell you what I experienced 15 years ago. We dove and spear fished under the bridge, and we dove the jetties at Radio Island. Those were the popular walk-ins at that time and in that place.

The walk to the jetties was very long indeed. Simply amazing how far one will carry gear when one is determine to dive.

You must dive high tide or there simply isn't enough depth to make it worth your while. When high tide finally came, we made our way to the far side of the jetty (the jetty runs parallel with the beach) and we worked our way to the bottom looking for sea critters among the rocks. There were a few that day. Nothing to write home about. When I got to the bottom, it seems to me it was around 15 to 25 feet deep at high tide, I layed on the warm sand and it felt good. Then I heard something HUGE slowly approaching. I layed there as something with a large slow churning giant prop made its way past. I said a little prayer and hoped I would not get sucked up into it. By the time we had burned one tank the tide had switched and the water was quickly headed out to sea.

The way to dive tidal situations is to be prepared when the tide is coming in. When it starts to slow down, it is time to get in the water. As you are diving the tide will continue slowing down and finally stop. It will not stay stopped for long. After it has switched direction and starts going out, it is time to end your dive.

Here is a link to a map of where you park and where you dive. In between, you walk, with gear.

Radio Island

Last edited:
Just to add regarding the terminology...slack is simply that period between changing tides when there is little movement. It actually applies to currents rather than tides but the idea is the same.

Around here because we are diving salt water but it's 90 miles inland we dive slack which is actually slack current....current being the horizontal movement and tide being vertical. On the coast high tide and slack (before ebb) and low tide and slack (before flood) are close enough to each other than it may not require a distinction.

Here there can be an hour or more between high tide and slack before ebb so we have to look at the current reporting stations and not just the tide reporting stations.

Anyway, just thought I'd clear up the terminology that the OP was asking about. Slack is actually that period where the current is reversing so for a moment it is still or "slack".

You know, personally, I'd prefer to enjoy some of the topside activities if it were me. I'm afraid that after your boat dives, Radio Island may not quite roll your boots up and down. I vaguely remember there being a bridge somewhere around there that some enjoy diving, if I can find it for you I'll post it here.

Do be careful that you don't have an encounter with a moving boat.

This site sounds like the one that I was told about that was doable but has a lot of boaters that are largely unmindful of divers. I dive a site similar in RI but at night when traffic is light. The large Block Island Ferry does come in sometimes and I can feel it "pulling" at me as it goes by and the NOISE is LOUD!

I was looking for a site where my wife and I could snorkel while we were there and I wasn't diving, but that place sounds too dangerous.

Last edited:
Your understanding is correct. Although things are always changing. I will tell you what I experienced 15 years ago. We dove and spear fished under the bridge, and we dove the jetties at Radio Island. Those were the popular walk-ins at that time and in that place.

The walk to the jetties was very long indeed. Simply amazing how far one will carry gear when one is determine to dive.You must dive high tide or there simply isn't enough depth to make it worth your while. When high tide finally came, we made our way to the far side of the jetty (the jetty runs parallel with the beach) and we worked our way to the bottom looking for sea critters among the rocks. There were a few that day. Nothing to write home about. When I got to the bottom, it seems to me it was around 15 to 25 feet deep at high tide, I layed on the warm sand and it felt good. Then I heard something HUGE slowly approaching. I layed there as something with a large slow churning giant prop made its way past. I said a little prayer and hoped I would not get sucked up into it. By the time we had burned one tank the tide had switched and the water was quickly headed out to sea.

The way to dive tidal situations is to be prepared when the tide is coming in. When it starts to slow down, it is time to get in the water. As you are diving the tide will continue slowing down and finally stop. It will not stay stopped for long. After it has switched direction and starts going out, it is time to end your dive.

Here is a link to a map of where you park and where you dive. In between, you walk, with gear.

Radio Island

I find the getting there not such a big deal, its the packing up and cleaning up that is the real kicker. :idk:

Does anyone know of any other shore dives in the area? I have Sat. afternoon on the boat and all day Monday on a boat. Will do the aquaium there in Pine Knoll. My daughter would kill me if I took her to Fort Macon, have not been there in years.

I am guessing from the map that I need to walk/carry my gear from the first yellow marker to the 2nd yellow marker?

I find the getting there not such a big deal, its the packing up and cleaning up that is the real kicker. :idk:

Does anyone know of any other shore dives in the area? I have Sat. afternoon on the boat and all day Monday on a boat. Will do the aquaium there in Pine Knoll. My daughter would kill me if I took her to Fort Macon, have not been there in years.

I am guessing from the map that I need to walk/carry my gear from the first yellow marker to the 2nd yellow marker?

It's just not shore diving territory. Lots of worthy shore dives in the OBX, but not Morehead/Beaufort.

Just wanted to throw out a few things in the event that they are of interest...

Visit to the NC Maritime Museum. You can see some Blackbeard's booty there.

There are also the Wild Ponies on Shackleford Banks. There are services that will take you there.

Ferry over to Cape Lookout. It's just beautiful over there.

It's just not shore diving territory. Lots of worthy shore dives in the OBX, but not Morehead/Beaufort.

Just wanted to throw out a few things in the event that they are of interest...

Visit to the NC Maritime Museum. You can see some Blackbeard's booty there.

There are also the Wild Ponies on Shackleford Banks. There are services that will take you there.

Ferry over to Cape Lookout. It's just beautiful over there.

Forgot about Shackelford Banks, never been there before, lived in Herbert for 2 years when my husband was in the Marine Corp. Maritime Museum, ugh, I think I would kill myself or at least take an ice pick to the ear. Husband has traumatized me with those museums. I am shaking and drooling now just thinking about it. OBX later this summer might be fun for a weekend. That might work! Cape Lookout might be nice also.

Thanks so much for the info!
Desi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom