Shops near Perth, ON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not anywhere closer if you take into account the crossing the border crap during weekends :) when the hell would those guys remove the stupid border. It so much time wasted. Should look at Europe :)

Amen...

:eek:fftopic:

I you just want a leisure dive and to relax, I'd say the Lock 21 is cool. The Longsault park is a nice place, the scenery is really nice, a perfect place to picnic. Yo go there, you dive, you lounge around and go back home relaxed.

I tried to find the entry point for Lock 21 one time when I was driving home from Halifax.......drove and walked around Long Sault islands for hours and never found it. Do you have precise GPS coordinates for the entry? I would have no interest in doing it for the first trip without an "experienced Lock 21" diver but want to know where the entry point is.

:focus:

I tried to find the entry point for Lock 21 one time when I was driving home from Halifax.......drove and walked around Long Sault islands for hours and never found it. Do you have precise GPS coordinates for the entry? I would have no interest in doing it for the first trip without an "experienced Lock 21" diver but want to know where the entry point is.

44.998106,-74.89924 - Google Maps

Get off the parkway onto the dirt road and then park on the grass near the water or under a tree. Entry points at the arrow or also the gravel beach on the other side of the bushes about 100' down stream. The locks themselves are actually a bit to the south west of the island. There are lines leading down starting a bit off shore. There's a sizeable pavilion with historical postings about midway between the entry points and the dirt road.

I wouldn't do it for the first time without someone familiar with the site, either. Not too difficult a dive for an experienced cold murky water diver, but with the low vis, current and depth, it wouldn't be hard to get lost getting down to the lock structure to start with.

ecluse21.png
From Neptune:http://www.neptune-scuba.info/ca/on/ecluse-lock-21-en.html

There's a white buoy marking the tip of the lock, it can be easily seen from the entry point.

There are 2 ways to go.

1) The website's way. Start at point A. You crawl (10-30ft) to the TOP of the doors of the lock (point B), go on top of the lock with the railing helping you, go to the southern tip of the lock, descend, go in front of the doors, enter by 2nd door, immediately go right to get out of current, explore a bit, follow the line out & exit at point A.

2) Another way. See those 3 squares, those were waiting wooden column so ships could attach to those while waiting for the lock to open/close. Start at point A. Crawl at the bottom and swim to the further column, let yourself drift keep to the central wall (you'll be between the central & south wall), as soon as the wall end go behind the central wall to stop drifting. Go to the northern wall for the exit cord. Exit at point A.

It's a 25-30min dive. It's not hard.
PS. I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a compass bearing, the currents hit the walls and you easily lose direction because of low viz, currents ARE NOT a reference here, since they bounce back from the structure, you think current is pushing you while it's actually pulling you etc etc. Keep north and you'll go to shore.

Even better, PM me and we'll go dive it together. :D

PS. ANYONE SEE THE "LAKE ST-LAWRENCE".... it's not a lake.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom