Shoes vs booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quicksilver II

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Possibly (probably) a dumb question... does anyone just dive in shoes? Like a pair of Chuck Taylors or similar?

Last trip I went on a guy had a pair of Poseidon One II, which looked just like a neoprene Chuck (from what I could tell) and it seemed to offer way more protection and comfort than my dive booties. Assuming open heel fins, of course.

If I'm just doing warm water rec diving, would a Chuck T work just as good? Or is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: Also, any advice on fin sizing would be much appreciated! I wear a 12 shoe size.

Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 4.39.59 PM.png

Chuck Taylors is a classic move for military dive teams, particularly in warm water.
It's where OTB got the idea to make multicam sneakers.

I presume warm water where you don't care about thermal protection?

I don't see an issue. Common to use over drysuit socks. Might still need some socks to avoid chaffing.

There are also different build levels of wetsuit boots. Some are as little as glorified socks with a hint of tread pattern on the bottom. And can get into almost work boot catagory.

All great news, thanks guys!

Climbing up the ladder with my neoprene socks hurt and I couldn't find a reason why shoes wouldn't be better all around.

Possibly (probably) a dumb question... does anyone just dive in shoes? Like a pair of Chuck Taylors or similar?

Last trip I went on a guy had a pair of Poseidon One II, which looked just like a neoprene Chuck (from what I could tell) and it seemed to offer way more protection and comfort than my dive booties. Assuming open heel fins, of course.

If I'm just doing warm water rec diving, would a Chuck T work just as good? Or is there something I'm missing?

View attachment 857353
i ve seen a guy using converse i find it cool 😎.

View attachment 857353

I bought these…the insole sucks. Made of paper/cardboard/something that dissolves in water….disintegrated after a couple dives and I had to find a replacement “plastic” type insole. Just be aware.

I bought these…the insole sucks. Made of paper/cardboard/something that dissolves in water….disintegrated after a couple dives and I had to find a replacement “plastic” type insole. Just be aware.

For $120 I would expect a little more. Chucks it is.

Check these out.

This is the first I've heard of shoes in my 19 years diving! I have always used booties and rarely find that they are uncomfortable walking over rough terrain.

Back
Top Bottom