Shock cord to webbing help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass:
Boogie - I still don't get what keeps the ring of rubber suspended in space. There must be more to it I'm not getting.

It's own tension. The "loop" is basically just a rubberband around the strap. It's tight enough to hold itself in place (i.e. just barely snug to the strap) when there's no light in it, and stretchy enough to pull out and over the light head to secure it.

If you peer closely at the straps on this picture from the BAUE gallery, you can see the innertube loops in their relaxed state. (The fact that they're black doesn't help make them visible, but if you peer closely, you'll see them, and you'll see that they're just tense enough not to slide around.)

I thought it was goofy penny-pinching until I tried it; it's actually a very elegant solution. The only trick is in finding the correct width for them; the wider they are, the less stretchy; the thinnner they are, the more prone to breaking. I found a sweet spot around 3/8" or so.

Such a simple thing, but it just doesn't translate into words. Jason's pic though I think showed me what's what. Thanks Jason. I don't need to use Kraken's weight keeper to keep the loop in place (no offense buddy). When it's in use, the tension will keep it in place. When not in use, I can just let the loop be. It might move around some, but so what?

I can use the Dawg's idea of using the QR to insert the loop (smart Dawg), and I'll try out Laird's idea of using a small loop, though I have my doubts that I can squeeze in a light in a small loop. My cord is not too stretchy. But you're right about one thing. Black on black gear makes for a poor picture.

here's a pic of what boogie was saying ... it don't believe it will work with 1" straps however ...

Tim

I'm in the process off rethreading my webbing. I'm trying to igure out if I have put enough inner tube on the harness. So far I have;

1 loop on the right side to keep the excess webbing from the buckle in place.
4 loops on each section where the webbing runs through the plate to reduce wear on the harness.
2 narrow loops on each shoulder strap for the back up lights.
2 loops behind the backplate at the top for extras.

Anything else?

Sean - I think you're overanalyzing this.

Go out and dive. Have fun. Don't sweat the stuff like "do I have enough innertube." I haven't had innertube to 'protect my harness' in 2 years. My harness is starting to fray. If it gets bad, I'll replace it - it will cost me about $10.

If I find I need a piece of innertube, just unthread it to where you need it and put it back on. Total time invested - 3 minutes. 5, if you have problems re-threading the buckle or something.

Don't sweat it - just dive and have fun. :)

Boogie711:
Sean - I think you're overanalyzing this.

Go out and dive. Have fun. Don't sweat the stuff like "do I have enough innertube." I haven't had innertube to 'protect my harness' in 2 years. My harness is starting to fray. If it gets bad, I'll replace it - it will cost me about $10.

If I find I need a piece of innertube, just unthread it to where you need it and put it back on. Total time invested - 3 minutes. 5, if you have problems re-threading the buckle or something.

Don't sweat it - just dive and have fun. :)

Maybe I am overanalyzing it. What can I say? I hate having to do something twice.

While we're talking about innertube, are there any tricks to getting the backup light back into the innertube with gloves on? Or is the idea that once you take out your backup light you should be ending the dive (at least in a cave) and you can restow it on land?

I only wear 3mil gloves, but I just put a finger through, pull hard and slip the light back under. Frequently during the day (where it's often my primary light) I will pull it out and put it back... no harder than learning to clip and unclip your spg...

Back
Top Bottom