Shipping Gears and Camera Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone is different but I only dive my own equipment and for me personally it's worth any hassle to have it and shipping is not as difficult as it sounds and FedEx will actually pick it up from you hotel or the dive shop. The trip you're taking will not be a cheap one, so why compromise?

No compromise. Just need to make sense :)
I've my dive gears for so long that I think I've forgotten what rental gears feel like. I thought of renting the gears but the issue is if the gear fit. I have pretty high cheek bones, and rental masks sometimes don't fit well. On top of that, most websuit doesn't fit as well.

There are weeks between my dive trips. I don't know if most dive operators/ shops would be willing to receive my gears on my behalf. This is something I need to find out after i decide on the dive operators/ shops. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

So take your mask and suit (and any other bits you can't live without) but rent the other stuff.

I know that having good fitting gear makes life easier, but really, is a bcd that isn't perfect going to be that big of an issue over a few dives? Lordy, I've used bcs that were so small I couldn't do up any of the buckles/bands, those that were so big five of me could have been in there, and all sorts of other ones that mostly fit but weren't great. None of them ruined dives for me.

Every bc I've used from a reputable dive centre's hire fleet has been more than adequate to get the job done. Same with every reg. I just don't get the point of lugging it and fooling with it for short trips and a few dives here or there. Heck, I'm probably not even taking my own camera system with me for this year's Invade the Keys!

But, as Dennis said, to each his own and you have to do what is right for you. You may be happier eating the extra costs with the airlines and/or shipping than using hire gear; you may have other things in your potential packing that you can sacrifice for space and weight. Only you can choose - there's no right or wrong answer :wink:

Everyone is different but I only dive my own equipment and for me personally it's worth any hassle to have it and shipping is not as difficult as it sounds and FedEx will actually pick it up from you hotel or the dive shop. The trip you're taking will not be a cheap one, so why compromise?
Dang, I really feel more like you do - but trying to embrace the idea of using rental gear. It would be difficult for me to do that, tho - I like my gear.
is a bcd that isn't perfect going to be that big of an issue over a few dives?
Really, it can be for some, more so us bigger guys maybe. We've never met (just missed you in Cozumel once) but I suspect that you're about half my weight. I like a BC with lots of lift. I almost jerked a weight belt off of a newbie my size in Coz once, as he was overweighted as newbies often are, then had a difficult time floating well on the surface with the little rental BC. He had removed his reg, heading into panic, and I kept telling him to put his reg back in his mouth. He finally did as I was about to give up and jerk his weights. He's also my best friend, and I have a standing promise to his sainted mom.

Catkeeper is no newbie, tho - so maybe he could be okay with rental BCs and fins, as long as he inspects them well, picks out good ones. There is probably a happy compromise here, and I may not be helping much on this thread, but it is interesting.

I agree with Don. I'm most comfortable in my own gear and I know how it works and that can be important for a photographer too. I don't want to be fiddling with unfamiliar gear when I'm concentrating on shooting. It can make a dive very frustrating, the last thing you need when on holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom