Shipping Gears and Camera Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_cat_keeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going on a round-the-world trip, and want to include diving in my itinerary. I love my gears but do not want to lug them around. I am thinking of having them shipped to the first dive shop, then after the diving, ship the gears to the second dive location, then to the third, etc. Have any of you shipped gears before? I'm wondering how to pack the gears to make them good for shipping... and if I should just rent my gears instead.

Beside the dive gears, I am also thinking of shipping my uw camera housing + strobe. Would it be safe to ship them inside a pelican case (I always felt the case is too heavy and tend to travel with my camera inside my housing in a backpack)?

If you're going to be on the same ship for this wonderful journey, I wouldn't even think of shipping my gear (some call it "kit," your plural use threw me for a moment). I have considered shipping mine ahead on round-trip plane trips, but rejected the idea because of the costs mostly, but also concerns about extra time required, customs problems without me there to deal with them, etc. Most traveling divers seem to prefer to carry their most essential equipment in their carry-on bags to further reduce chances of losses or delays when flying.

If you had to ship the photography equipment, then the Pelican case would probably be preferable, but as delicate as cameras are, I carry mine in my backpack rather than the roll-on bag in case the latter has to be gate checked on smaller planes. I don't know how large yours is, tho.

Traveling and living on the same ship, tho - I'd certainly just take it with me. You could ask the cruise company about storing that bag other than in your room between dive stops.

Hi, DandyDon,

Thank you for responding... I think I wasn't clear in my original post :) I'm not travelling by ship - maybe next time :)

My itinerary is Tibet, Inner Mongolia, Mongolia, Russia, Hungary, Jordan, Egypt (Red sea - 1st dive stop), Italy, Spain, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador (Possibly diving the galapagos), Costa Rica (Diving Cocos island), New Zealand, Australia (possibly diving the great barrier reef) before heading home. So one thought is to ship the gear from home to red sea, then from red sea, fedex the gears to galapagos, then carry it to costa rica, then fedex the gear again to cairns.

With winter clothing, trekking gears and camera equipment, I would already be lugging ~15kg in my backpack. That's why I can't take my dive gear and uw housing with me. I typically check in ~16 kg of dive gear and my uw housing + strobe + lenses is usually another 5 - 7 kg.

Thanks again! :)

Apart from the cost, shipping FedEx is a good idea. You can track the equipment online. I've shipped my camera gear in a Pelican before with no problems.

My bad: Your post does not say "cruise," I read that into it myself. :silly: Now I see your challenge. Yeah, I'd want my own gear for Egypt, Italy, Spain, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador (Possibly diving the galapagos), Costa Rica (Diving Cocos island), New Zealand, Australia - all those. Shipping it between some points could indeed be a good idea, if you can obtain trustworthy contacts in advance - and you probly can here on SB in time.

I would want to reconnect with my gear in Ecuador, tho; I'd hate to get to the Galapagos only to learn it hadn't made it and try to locate and expedite from there...

I'd contact the shops where you will be diving and try to find people who have dived with them - ask about their hire gear. I personally wouldn't bother dragging my own gear unless I was diving in a spot for over a week solid.

Don't know what photo gear you have, but I'd probably carry it with me rather than shipping it. Just thinking about all the shipping and futzing around puts me off.

I am also thinking of shipping my uw camera housing + strobe.

After looking at the photos on your web page, I can see why you want to do that. :D Nice stuff!

Your previous photo experience and obvious expertise will be exposed to the opposite end of the imaging spectrum- your familiarity has been with the microscopic. The places you mention that you will visit are more known for "quick- get the wide angle image" kind of photos.

Maybe that will change your weight and volume of photo gear. Not much need or use for heavy duty flash heads, etc. The GBR might serve as one exception to that- there is a nice mixture wide angle as well as macro stuff there.

As far as SCUBA equipment, there will be any number of places that you can rent adequate dive equipment in the Red Sea, Galapagos, Costa Rica and GBR.

(My two, Molly and Gracie say hi to Teddy, by the way!) Image of Miss Mollie Maschalla - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting &
Image of Gracie, Sharmut Pizzikah - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There you go, posts from more experienced travelers - better opinions. Leave the gear, ship the photography stuff - and maybe your own regulator.

You should put this in your Signature area: Teddy's World

After looking at the photos on your web page, I can see why you want to do that. :D Nice stuff!
Thanks! :)

Not much need or use for heavy duty flash heads, etc.
That's an interesting thought. I'm fretting on the weights of my gear. I could actually forgo the strobe and arm, and just have my camera and housing for most of these places.

(My two, Molly and Gracie say hi to Teddy, by the way!)
Meow! :wink:

Everyone is different but I only dive my own equipment and for me personally it's worth any hassle to have it and shipping is not as difficult as it sounds and FedEx will actually pick it up from you hotel or the dive shop. The trip you're taking will not be a cheap one, so why compromise?

Back
Top Bottom